The Music of "Having Church"
- Angie and Debbie Winans. Chambers, Gordon // Essence (Essence);Oct93, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p50
Focuses on sibling singers Angie and Debbie Winans. Family life and singing exposure from the world-renowned gospel singing clan; Debut album `Angie & Debbie'; Message of songs; Friendship with Whitney Houston; Spreading message of God's love and hope through their songs.
- Winans song's anti-gay message does harm. Jenkins, Daniel // Billboard;12/13/97, Vol. 109 Issue 50, p8
Criticizes the release of the song `Not Natural,' by Angie and Debbie Winans, for its message about homosexuality. Why the duo wrote the song, which is recorded on the album `Bold'; Comments about the Winans' religious beliefs; Thoughts about censorship and speaking out.
- Gospel rap raps gays. // Human Events;11/07/97, Vol. 53 Issue 42, p7
Reports on the request made by organizers of Million-Woman March for music performers Angie and Debbie Winans to refrain from singing a song critical of homosexual activity. Brief information about the lyrics of their song; Criticisms made by The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation...
- Angie and Debbie Winans criticized for lyrics denouncing homosexuality on song, `Not Natural.' // Jet;11/24/97, Vol. 93 Issue 1, p56
Focuses on gospel duo Angie and Debbie Winans, who have received criticism for their song, `Not Natural,' which denounces homosexuality. How the song's idea came after they watched Ellen Degeneres' coming-out episode on her sitcom `Ellen'; Comments from the Winans; Mention of Singapore's...
- The Winans go after gays. Laskin, Tom // Progressive;May98, Vol. 62 Issue 5, p39
Focuses on the music album `Bold,' by Angie and Debbie Winans, which condemns the gay lifestyle. Sample lyric of the song `Not Natural'; Sale of gospel and Christian pop albums in 1997; Comments and views from several individuals and organizations on the album.
- FAITH NOTES: News from the Pulpit & Pews. Moorer, Talise D. // New York Amsterdam News;1/18/2004, Vol. 98 Issue 4, p34
The article presents information related to the Pathmark Gospel Choir Competition, an event which comes at the start of Black History Month on February 3, 2007 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the World Financial Center Winter Garden, West Street between Vesey and Liberty streets in-Lower...
- Preaching. White, Kathryn Jenson // Oklahoma Today;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p46
This article focuses on musician Kenneth Kilgore's efforts in establishing the Ambassadors' concert choir. Kilgore began most Sundays sitting on a wooden pew next to his grandfather, a church deacon and minister of music. With the exception of four years in Dallas at Bishop College earning a...
- Praise the Lord. // African Business;Feb2006, Issue 317, p66
The article reviews the music release "The Best Gospel Music Album in the Worldâ€¦ Ever," featuring various choirs including the Urban Voice of Manchester, the Roy Johnson Singers of Leeds and the Liverpool Philharmonic Gospel Choir.
- Sweet song. // New York Amsterdam News;5/20/95, Vol. 86 Issue 20, p37
Shows a picture of members of the Convent Mass Choir singing during the Apollo Easter Gospel Festival at Apollo Theatre.