The Cuban Revolutions
- Castro welcomes the Pope. // Canadian Dimension;May/Jun98, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p9
Presents the official translation of the statement given by President Fidel Castro of Cuba, welcoming Pope John Paul II to the country on January 21, 1998.
- Cuba Libre? Buckley, Wm. F. // National Review;
This article focuses on the visit of Pope John Paul II to Cuba. Cuba's President Fidel Castro tried to appropriate the papal visit. The invitation to visit Cuba did not come from Castro. It came from the Cuban bishops. Castro counted on getting from the Pope some rhetoric that would make him...
- Pope's Address to New U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See. // America;10/8/2001, Vol. 185 Issue 10, p6
Presents the text of a speech given by Pope John Paul II on September 13, 2001 to the United States Ambassador to the Holy See, Jim Nicholson.
- Silencio is golden. Stanglin, Douglas; Kaplan, David E.; Pasternak, Douglas; Brownstein, Ronald; Cohen, Gary; Walsh, Kenneth T.; Lord, Mary // U.S. News & World Report;02/23/98, Vol. 124 Issue 7, p16
Focuses on the efforts of Cuban President Fidel Castro to limit his own speeches during the visit of Pope John Paul II. Comments of Castro.
- Mixed signs of the cross. Larmer, Brook // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);01/26/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 4, p20
Looks at Fidel Castro's toleration of religious activism in Cuba. Expectations from the visit in January 1998 of Pope John Paul II; A workshop, sponsored by the Center for Civic and Religious Formation being a place where people can discuss ideas such as democracy; The communist Cuban...
- VISITORS. Logan, Andy // New Yorker;10/29/1979, Vol. 55 Issue 37, p86
The article presents information on several well-attended events held in New York City in 1979. Nineteen thousand Catholic teenagers gave Pope John Paul II jeans and shirts and entertained him with rock music during his visit in the city. The annual African-American Parade was held in Harlem and...
- Pope criticizes crackdown, asks mercy for dissidents. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;5/23/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 29, p9
Reports that Pope John Paul II has called on Cuban President Fidel Castro for humane treatment of political dissidents in Cuba. Letter to Castro written by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano in behalf of the pope; Sentences imposed by Cuban courts on dissidents in the country.
- God's man in Havana. Woodward, Kenneth L.; Larmer, Brook; Nordland, Rod // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);01/19/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 3, p32
Reports on Pope John Paul II's visit to Cuba in January 1998. Parallelisms between the pope and Cuban leader Fidel Castro; Vatican's insistence that pope's mission is pastoral; Opportunities by the pope to evangelize the Cubans.
- The battle for Cuba's soul. Larmer, Brook; Paternostro, Silvana // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);01/19/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 3, p36
Reports on Cuban leader Fidel Castro's lifting of restrictions on religion. Incompatibility between religion and revolution; Preparations for visit of Pope John Paul II in January 1998; Tension and uncertainty marking the pope's visit; Castro's conciliatory moves to accept Catholics. INSETS:...