WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- The American Rabbi Values Christmas. Spero, Rabbi Aryeh // Human Events;12/23/2002, Vol. 58 Issue 47, p5
Reports on the lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) against a public school district in Georgia for having a calendar referring to December 25th as Christmas. Argument and demands of the ACLU; Implication of the case on the practice of religion.
- ACLU backs down on student prayer. Feder, Don // Human Events;10/9/93, Vol. 53 Issue 41, p15
Examines the debate between the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) on whether religious activities made within the grounds of public schools are legal. Alleged inconsistencies in the stand of ACLU; Vanderbilt University study of media...
- NATIONAL NEWS: NATIONAL. Radosta, Jim // Just Out;10/3/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 23, p25
Reports that the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has urged a House panel to adopt a measure to preserve civil rights protections and prohibit tax dollars from being diverted to fund religious activities in the country.
- Bush's proposal to mix church, state called 'dangerous situation.' Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;02/01/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p36
Focuses on the public reaction to the proposed availability of federal funds to religious groups in New York, New York. Concern over violations of civil liberties and religious freedom; Opposition from the American Civil Liberties Union; Details on the initiative.
- 'Crealionist' Theory To Go on Trial Today In Arkansas Court. // Education Week;12/7/1981, Vol. 1 Issue 13, p2
The article reports that the lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (A.C.L.U.) against the state of Arkansas will go to trial at the U.S. District Court in Little Rock, Arkansas, on December 13, 1981. The A.C.L.U. declared that the Arkansas law, which requires the teaching of...
- Should Congress Adopt the Helms Amendment to Limit Federal Courts Regarding "School Prayer"? CON. Emerson, Thomas // Congressional Digest;Dec80, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p311
Presents the text of the speech delivered by Thomas Emerson of the American Civil Liberties Union before the Subcommittee on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Administration of Justice of the House Judiciary Committee during hearings on the school prayer bill passed by the U.S. Senate.
- Suit Over Aid to Church Schools Abroad Contested. . West, Peter // Education Week;3/30/1988, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p13
The article reports on a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) seeking to prevent U.S. federal aid to religious schools abroad. The lawsuit claims that providing federal money to build or operate sectarian schools is a violation of the First Amendment's prohibition against...
- Florida Sued Over Graduation Rates. // Language Magazine;Dec2009, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p10
The article reports on a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union against the state government and officials of Florida regarding limited graduation rates. According to the lawsuit, Florida's state government failed to provide a high quality, safe, and secure public education. It...
- Tide of Hysteria. // National Review;12/12/1980, Vol. 32 Issue 25, p1495
The article comments on the theme of the recruiting and fundraising message of the American Civil Liberties Union in 1980. It argues against the accusation by the union that the Moral Majority is lusting to capture the power of government to promote religious and political orthodoxy. It also...