John Paul II on the American Experiment
- Laissez Faire Pope. Bethell, Tom // American Spectator;May2004, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p42
Comments on the role of Pope John Paul II in the Roman Catholic Church. Problems that affect the Church; Reaction of Pope John Paul II to global political activity; Impression on the gestures of the pope.
- Spain's Search for Unity. // America;11/13/1982, Vol. 147 Issue 15, p282
The article offers information on the trip of Pope John Paul II during his pastoral visit to Spain, which is considered a nation of deep Catholic tradition. The visit came at time when Spain needed a sign of reestablishment after the long campaign and some visible symbol that the church could...
- PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF FREEDOM. Synhorst, G. E. // Saturday Evening Post;Dec1979, Vol. 251 Issue 9, p36
Discusses the efforts of Pope John Paul II to preach the gospel of freedom worldwide. Purpose of his journey to Latin America; Views on Communist governments; Conflict between the government and the church in the U.S. during his visit in 1979.
- Of Many Things. J. O'H. // America;5/28/1983, Vol. 148 Issue 21, preceding p409
The article focuses on the issues between the Catholic Church and the state in Poland. It notes on the implication to the state's relationship with the Catholic church when 68-years old priest Stefan Dzierzek was arrested for his support for anti-government activity which has been severely...
- Pope objects to `false idea' of church-state separation. // Church & State;Feb99, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p21
Outlines Pope John Paul II's opposition to what he calls a false idea of the principle of separation between state and churches. Limitations on the influence of churches in some Western European countries; Violations of religious freedom; Violence against Roman Catholics in India and Africa;...
- THE CHURCH IN POLAND AND ITS POLITICAL INFLUENCE. Hruby, Suzanne // Journal of International Affairs;Fall82/Winter83, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p317
Reports on the influence of the Catholic church on politics in Poland. Origins of the influence; Impact of the election of Archbishop Karol Wojtyla as pope; Rapprochement between the Catholic church and the secular left.
- PILGRIM'S PROMISE. Husarska, Anna // New Republic;02/09/98, Vol. 218 Issue 6, p18
Examines the impact of the visit of Pope John Paul II to Cuba in 1998 on the social and political conditions in the country. Background of the relationship between the Cuban communist government and the Catholic Church; Description of the reception of Cuban citizens of the Pope; Speculation...
- All dressed up. // Commonweal;03/23/2001, Vol. 128 Issue 6, p5
Comments on the pageantry of the event during Pope John Paul's election of the 44 bishops to the College of Cardinals in February 2001. How the United States (U.S.) media cover the event; U.S. bishops who were elected cardinals; Implications of the appointments to the Catholic Church in America.
- Cuba to admit priests and nuns. R.N.S. // Christian Century;12/17/97, Vol. 114 Issue 36, p1186
Focuses on Cuban government's plan to allow foreign priests and nuns to enter the island nation to help the country's small Roman Catholic leadership prepare for the January 1998 visit of Pope John Paul II. Television broadcast of a commemoration of President Fidel Castro's visit to the Vatican...