Reflections on the UDHR
- Human Rights: A Western, Christian Invention? El-Hage, Youssef K. // Theological Review;Nov2004, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p3
Discusses the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) by the General Assembly of the United Nations Organization as the universally acknowledged standard of human dignity. Overview of the purpose of the UDHR, according to its preamble; Features of the Universal Declaration;...
- CHARLES H. MALIK AND HUMAN RIGHTS: NOTES ON A BIOGRAPHY. MITOMA, GLENN // Biography: An Interdisciplinary Quarterly;Winter2010, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p222
The article presents discussion regarding the nature of biography as a genre, particularly the balance between its existence as an objective social science and as a literary "humanistic" depiction of an individual and their life. The case example of the Lebanese diplomat Charles H. Malik is then...
- North Korea blasts devastating UN rights report as a fabrication engineered by the U.S. // East-Asia-Intel Reports;2/26/2014, p9
The article focuses on North Korea's claims that the United Nations (UN) report on North Korea's human rights abuse is a smear campaign done by the U.S. and that the UN commission is controlled by Washington.
- Human Rights and the Family. Cere, Daniel // Academic Questions;Winter2008/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p63
The article focuses on how the conjugal family appears to be under attack from the rights revolution. It cites Michael Ignatieff of Harvard Carr Center for Human Rights Policy's observation and the proposal of Charles Malik about family and marriage. It cites facts about the first major...
- "WITH AN AIR OF DIVINITY". // Time;9/29/1958, Vol. 72 Issue 13, p27
The article focuses on Foreign Minister Charles Malik of Lebanon, who ignored the challenge by the Arab League to invoke the Foreign Minister of Sudan as rival candidate in the 13th United Nations (UN) General Assembly. It notes that Malik graduated at the American University of Beirut in 1927...
- RenÃ© Cassin and Human Rights: From the Great War to the Universal Declaration. Ingram, Norman // French History;Dec2014, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p587
No abstract available.
- Jay Winter and Antoine Prost. RenÃ© Cassin and Human Rights: From the Great War to the Universal Declaration. Klose, Fabian // American Historical Review;Dec2014, Vol. 119 Issue 5, p1786
No abstract available.
- UN General Assembly expresses "deep concern" about human rights in Iran. // One Country;1/1/2008, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p7
The article focuses on the statement made by the United Nations General Assembly, which expresses its concern on alleged human rights violations in Iran.
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC: UN AGENCIES REPORT INCREASE IN HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS. // African Business News;9/6/2013, p11
The article focuses on a report from United Nations (UN) agencies showing increasing rate of human rights violations in the Central African Republic (CAR), following reports of burned and abandoned villages, massive displacement, as well as looting and torture. The region witnessed a resumption...