A Philosopher of Virtue
- TomÃ¡s de Aquino: filosofia e pedagogia. Lauand, Jean // Acta Scientiarium: Education;Jan-Jun2012, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p11
This article discusses the connection between philosophy and education in Thomas Aquinas. In his Philosophical Anthropology there are three aspects very important for education today: the affirmation of matter as an essential in human being, the primacy of prudentia over the cardinal virtues and...
- Towards an Understanding of Aquinas's Self-Understanding of His Work. D. D'Andrea, Thomas // Tï¿½picos. Revista de Filosofï¿½a;1994, Vol. 4 Issue 7, p19
This paper tries to provide an attempt of explanation of St. Thomas Aquinas's intellectual aims as they are revealed in some texts of Summa contra Gentiles and a few minor works.
- LÃmite teolÃ³gico y finitud fenomenolÃ³gica en TomÃ¡s de Aquino. FALQUE, EMMANUEL // Sapientia;2009, Vol. 65, p158
No abstract available.
- Theology and Philosophy: Inhabiting the Borderlands. FARROW, DOUGLAS // Nova et Vetera (English Edition);Summer2013, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p673
An essay is presented on the relationship between philosophy and theology. The author explores the meaning and definition of both philosophy and theology based on the theories of philosophers Thomas Aquinas and Immanuel Kant. He also mentions the concept of natural or philosophical theology that...
- Nature's End: The Theological Meaning of the New Genetics. Sherlock, Richard // Modern Age;Winter/Spring2004, Vol. 46 Issue 1/2, p84
Analyzes the Western philosophy of the nature of man. Views of Aristotle on human nature; Difficulties with the appeal to species-typical functioning; Elements of the theology of Thomas Aquinas on the existence of God.
- El trasfondo metafÃsico de las Cinco VÃas de Santo TomÃ¡s: Una aproximaciÃ³n desde Lawrence Dewan, O.P. Irizar, Liliana B. // CIVILIZAR: Ciencias Sociales y Humanas;ene-jun2011, Vol. 11 Issue 20, p75
Lawrence Dewan presents an approach of St. Thomas's Five Ways to God which surpasses in metaphysical fineness and intellectual deepness the numerous excellent presentations about this topic. Dewan, in presenting the Metaphysical framework which serves as an argumentative foundation of the Five...
- The heart has reasons which reason cannot know. Moon, Gary W. // Conversations (15482057);Spring2008, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p5
The article offers information on Thomas Aquinas, the father of natural theology and a great philosopher. It mentions that even though he was labeled "a dumb ox" by his classmates, he was witty and possessed rare brilliance. It informs about, his antagonism for mystical theology and his book on...
- TOMAS AKVINIETIS APIE UNIVERSALIJAS IR ESSE. STANČIENĖ, DALIA MARIJA // Logos (08687692);2013, Issue 75, p60
The article analyzes the thomistic concepts of universals and existence (esse). In the Middle Ages, the question of universals was one of the most relevant problems of scholasticism. Theologians and philosophers debated over cognition of eternal forms and their existence in human understanding....
- Pursuing Wisdom. COLTON, RANDALL G. // Logos: A Journal of Catholic Thought & Culture;Fall2015, Vol. 18 Issue 4, p32
The article focuses on the scholastic philosophy of theologian and philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas and his neo-Thomist followers. Topics include the criticism of philosophers Pierre Hadot and John Cooper on the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, called scholasticism, as a holistic way of life, how...