WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Laghi refutes accusations. // National Catholic Reporter;08/01/97, Vol. 33 Issue 35, p12
Highlights the defense of Cardinal Pio Laghi against accusations on his involvement in Argentina's campaign of torture, killings and disappearances from the 1974 to 1980. Petition of human rights group, Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo to the Italian justice ministry to prosecute Laghi.
- Documents reveal nuncio's cautious human rights stance. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;8/30/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 37, p16
Reports on documents released by the U.S. State Department on August 20, 2002, which reveal stance of Archbishop Pio Laghi, the former papal nuncio to Argentina, on political and social conditions, and human rights in the country during the Argentine war between 1976 and 1983. Number of...
- The Laghi legacy. Reese, T.J. // America;6/16/1990, Vol. 162 Issue 23, p605
Surveys what Archbishop Pio Laghi leaves behind as the Pope's former representative to the United States. Outlines the differences between appointments of Laghi and Archbishop Jean Jadot; Problems in judging the Laghi legacy; Division of the hierarchy into liberal and conservative; Archbishops...
- Bishop calls Laghi charges `nonsensical'. Rogers-Melnick, Ann // National Catholic Reporter;08/29/97, Vol. 33 Issue 37, p10
Focuses on San Angeles, Texas Bishop Michael Pfeifer's reactions on Mothers of Plaza de Mayo's accusations against Cardinal Pio Laghi. Accusations as contrary to Laghi's actions in helping his brother Ted; Mothers of Plaza de Majo's claims on Laghi's complicity in a crusade against communism;...
- Pio Laghi dies, was 'key architect' of US.-Vatican ties. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;1/23/2009, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p1
An obituary for Cardinal Pio Laghi is presented.
- Cardinal Pio Laghi's work in Argentina doesn't measure up! Rice, Patricio // La Prensa San Diego;2/20/2009, Vol. 33 Issue 8, p7
An obituary for Cardinal Nuncio Pio Laghi, the first papal nuncio to the U.S., is presented.
- Deaths. // Christian Century;2/10/2009, Vol. 126 Issue 3, p19
An obituary for cardinal Pio Laghi is presented.
- Leon Klenicki, Dead at 78. // America;2/9/2009, Vol. 200 Issue 4, p8
An obituary for Rabbi Leon Klenicki is presented.
- "Parte", said the frontier guard. Lodge, Bert // New Statesman;3/7/2005, Vol. 134 Issue 4730, p28
Recalls the curious outcome of a mission the author undertook for the late Peter Benenson, Amnesty International's founder. Author's experience in 1962, on a mission to set up centres throughout the Spanish peninsula for the collection of information and distribution of money to political...