WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Back to Basics. // Commonweal;11/06/98, Vol. 125 Issue 19, p6
Deals with the message of Pope John Paul II to Catholics on the encyclical `Fides et ratio,' concerning the church and the world. Message of `Fides et ratio'; Comments on the implications of the pope's message.
- Odds and ends. Gilmour, Peter // U.S. Catholic;Feb99, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p7
Deals with the publication of the Fides et ratio, an encyclical letter written by Pope John Paul II. Significance of encyclical letters; Brief background of encyclical letters; Account of similar writings.
- The Economics of Human Freedom. Paul II, John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1991, Issue 15, p36
Presents a condensation of the encyclical "The Hundreth Year (Centesimus Annus)," by Pope John Paul II.
- LITERATURE AS IF CHRIST MATTERED. Leiva-Merikakis, Erasmo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p63
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Methodology of intelligent admiration; Need for faith to relate any and every form of literary narrative to the controlling narrative at the heart of Christianity; Son of God's glorification on the Cross.
- IS THERE PHILOSOPHICAL PROGRESS? A PHILOSOPHER RESPONDS TO THE POPE. Mendieta, Eduardo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p115
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Perspective of a philosopher; Pope's view on the relationship between philosophy and theology; Philosophy's role as a laborer of and after truth; History of philosophy; Unity of philosophy.
- Discipline, not doctrine, is nub of pope's new encyclical. Hebblethwaite, Peter // National Catholic Reporter;10/1/93, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p9
Discusses `Veritatis Splendor,' the encyclical of Pope John Paul II. Leak of the contents by Norbert Greinacher, professor of moral theology at Tubingen University; Gist of the encyclical; Disciplinary purpose; Appeal to bishops to take seriously their duty.
- Meditating on Mary. Hudock, Barry // Our Sunday Visitor;3/25/2012, Vol. 100 Issue 48, p14
The article focuses on the encyclical "Redemptoris Mater" (Mother of the Redeemer), which demonstrates the devotion of Blessed Pope John Paul II to Mary.
- Can Philosophy Be Christian? Dulles, Avery // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Apr2000, Issue 102, p24
Focuses on the debate about the possibility of a Christian philosophy. Human search for truth about ultimate questions; Classical positions about Christian philosophy; Pope John Paul II's elaboration of three states or stances of philosophy in relation to faith; Insufficiency of autonomous...
- Oh, Karol. Sullivan, Andrew // New Republic;1/31/94, Vol. 210 Issue 5, p6
Discusses the contents of "Veritatis Splendor," an encyclical letter about the nature of moral theology written by Pope John Paul II issued in August 1993. Assertions on liberal notions of morality written in the letter; Lack of media attention to the encyclical; Proper response of political...