WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- The Non-Orthodox Jew's Guide to Orthodox Jews. // American Jewish Spirit;Spring2011, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p12
An interview with David Baum, author of the book "The Non-Orthodox Jew's Guide to Orthodox Jews," is presented. When asked what made him decide to write the book, he replies that he wanted to create more understanding and to bridge the widening gap between non-Orthodox Jews and Orthodox Jews. He...
- Survey: Birthright generation pro-Israel. // New Jersey Jewish News;7/12/2012, Vol. 66 Issue 28, p16
The article presents results of the poll of Workmen's Circule on the rising attachment of non-American Orthodox Jews to Israel.
- Family Ties. Odenheimer, Micha // Foreign Policy;May/Jun2007, Issue 160, p86
This article describes the magazine Mishpacha, a weekly published in both Hebrew and English for the ultra-Orthodox Jewish community. The haredim, as they are known, represents a traditional way of practicing their religion in response to the modernity of secular humanism. The magazine, however,...
- 'The motivation for everything I do is justice'. Wiener, Robert // New Jersey Jewish News;11/11/2010, Vol. 64 Issue 45, p14
An interview with the American-born Israeli author Naomi Ragen is presented. She states that the book "The Tenth Song" is about a nice Jewish family and stands to lose everything when the father is accused of doing a terrible crime, financing Arab terrorism. She notes that she do not believe in...
- What's that you say? Silow-Carroll, Andrew // New Jersey Jewish News;1/31/2013, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p13
The author reflects on his addiction to the Jewish English Lexicon language which makes him realize his own tribe. He sates that lexicon asks people to suggest Jewish words and definitions with the help of the Internet. He discusses how Yeshivish, English spoken by among Jews, shapes the English...
- Reporting child sex abuse is obligation under Jewish law, haredi rabbis say. // Jewish Telegraphic Agency: 1922 to present;8/24/2015, p1
(JTA) - More than 100 haredi Orthodox rabbis and teachers in the United States have signed a proclamation saying that Jewish law obligates all Jews to report suspected child sex abuse to the authorities.
- INTRODUCTION. Fogiel-Bijaoui, Sylvie // Nashim: A Journal of Jewish Women's Studies & Gender Issues;Spring2007, Issue 13, p5
The article offers information on various articles published in the periodical "Nashim: A Journal of Jewish Women's Studies & Gender Issues." The articles are centered around the theme of Jewish women in the economy. One article discusses the portrayal of Jewish women as providers for their...
- One people, separate worlds. Silow-Carroll, Andrew // New Jersey Jewish News;5/24/2012, p13
The author discusses the differences between the non-Orthodox Jews and the Haredim, an ultra-Orthodox Jews, who have created a world into themselves, living, learning, and working in ways meant to restrict them from outside interactions, both Jewish and non-Jewish.
- Reflections on meeting with the president. Diament, Nathan J. // Washington Jewish Week;6/21/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 25, p11
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of participating in a meeting at the White House in Washington, D.C. in which lay and rabbinic ministers of the Orthodox Union (OU) met with U.S. President Barack Obama and his chief of staff Jack Lew.