The Problem with Salad Bowl Religion
- Deep Blue: Notes on the Jewish Snail Fight. Sagiv, Gadi // Contemporary Jewry;Oct2015, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p285
The Bible requires Jews to tie a tekhelet (blue) cord as part of their tzitzit (fringes on traditional prayer shawl and everyday undergarment). Rabbinic sources of antiquity insisted that the tekhelet dye must have been produced from a marine mollusk termed hillazon. For various reasons, the...
- REINVENTING NORTH AMERICAN JEWISH COMMUNAL STRUCTURES. Solomon, Jeffrey R. // Journal of Jewish Communal Service;Spring/Summer2001, Vol. 77 Issue 3/4, p147
Assesses the effects of normalcy in the organization United Jewish Communities. Factors which contributed to the success of the organization; Changes in the lives of Jews in the U.S.; Challenges of 21st century American Jewish life.
- Looking Forward to a Strong Jewish Future. Terrill, Marc // Baltimore Jewish Times;12/4/2015, Vol. 347 Issue 5, p10
The article argues against the aim for strong Jewish community in the future.
- Jewish Bodies, Jewish Minds. Wieseltier, Leon // Jewish Quarterly Review;Summer2005, Vol. 95 Issue 3, p435
Focuses on the Jewish studies in the U.S. Establishment of the history of the Jewish body; Lack of understanding of the corporeal dimensions of Jewish life; Subject of Jewish cultural materialism.
- SYNAGOGUES OF EXCELLENCE. Huberman, Steven // Journal of Jewish Communal Service;Spring/Summer2001, Vol. 77 Issue 3/4, p158
Recommends ways to develop Jewish federation-synagogue synergy in the U.S. Need to expand the programming between synagogues and agencies; Importance of the transformation of Jewish education; Creation of a sense of community with the synagogue; Enhancement of the link to Israel.
- Untitled. Brook, Larry // Southern Jewish Life;Oct2010, p4
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the author mentions the Jew Hollow Road in Gardendale in Birmingham, Alabama pictured on the front cover of the issue, cites that a series in the magazine "Jews on the Southern Map" will focus on the history of places named for Jews and adds...
- Judaism Renewed. Runyan, Joshua // Baltimore Jewish Times;8/7/2015, Vol. 345 Issue 6, p7
An introduction to the journal is presented which focuses on Jewish life and culture before the Nazi occupation of eastern Europe prior to World War II, the revival of Judaism and Jewish culture in Eastern Europe, and an article by David Holzel on the revival of Jewish centers.
- Life Cycle. // New Jersey Jewish News;12/24/2015, Vol. 69 Issue 52, p24
Several announcements related to birth of infants, coming of age Jewish ritual B'nei Mitzva, and engagements are presented in the article.
- THE JEWISH COMMUNITY OF AACHEN HALF A CENTURY AGO. STRAUSS, MAX // Yivo Annual of Jewish Social Science (00844209);1949, Vol. 4, p115
The article discusses aspects of the Jewish community in 1905 in the city of Aachen, Western Germany. An overview of the history of Jewish community in Aachen is presented which came into existence during the French Revolution and in the Napoleonic period. It mentions that the Jewish life was...