BEARING THE CROSS
- Edith Stein. Payne, Steven // America;10/10/1998, Vol. 179 Issue 10, p11
Provides an overview on the canonization of Edith Stein. Disappointment encountered by Stein throughout her life; Highlights from her autobiography; Her education; Information on the works of Stein in the Carmel of Cologne.
- Saint Edith? Gordon, Mary // Tikkun;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p17
Focuses on the canonization of Edith Stein. Purpose of canonization; Background on Stein; History of the Jews in Germany; Objections to Stein's canonization; Excerpts from her spiritual last will and testament.
- The Manner Is Contemporary. Catharine, Mary // America;8/31/1963, Vol. 109 Issue 9, p214
The article discusses the introduction of the cause of Edith Stein for canonization. According to the author, Stein has been a woman who speaks by word and act in idiom uniquely intelligible and meaningful. It states that Stein's image has been formed in the popular mind by certain writers as...
- Plans to declare Stein a saint raise debate. Heilbronner, Steven // National Catholic Reporter;06/06/97, Vol. 33 Issue 31, p8
Discusses the plans of Pope John Paul II to canonize Edith Stein, who adopted the name Sr. Theresa of the Cross in 1923 upon entering the Carmelite order. Reason for the extermination of Stein at Auschwitz in 1942; Beatification of Stein as a martyr for her role as a Catholic educator; Why...
- The saint and the holocaust. Carrol, James // New Yorker;06/07/99, Vol. 75 Issue 14, p52
Focuses on the canonization of Edith Stein which critics believe is another attempt by the Catholic Church to Christianize the Holocaust. Stein as a Jew who became a nun and died at Auschwitz; Canonization process; Miracle attributed to Stein which led to her canonization; Biographical details.
- Open letter to John Paul: Speak the whole truth about Christians and the Holocaust. // National Catholic Reporter;10/23/98, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p22
Presents an open letter to Pope John Paul II from members of Edith Stein's family regarding the canonization ceremony of Saint Teresa Benedicta.
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jan1998, Issue 79, p70
Covers issues related to religion and public life as of January 1998. Reaction to a Jewish complaint against the canonizing of Edith Stein; Promotion of a Sexual Awareness Week by the New Labor government of Great Britain; Opposition to the stand of the American Society for Reproductive...
- Nation briefs. // National Catholic Reporter;10/16/98, Vol. 34 Issue 44, p10
Presents information on the issues surrounding the Catholic Church. Support gained by the Christian Coalition from the American Civil Liberties Union; National grants awarded by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development; Canonization of Edith Stein, a Jewish convert to Catholicism.
- Essays on Woman. Cross, Nancy M. // National Review;9/2/1988, Vol. 40 Issue 17, p53
Reviews the book "Essays on Woman," edited by Edith Stein.