Letter from Moscow
- Yeltsin to meet Pope. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;01/30/98, Vol. 34 Issue 13, p7
Reports on Russian President Boris Yeltsin's scheduled meeting with Pope John Paul II in Italy in February 1998 to discuss how to improve strained relations between the Russian Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches. Resumption of talks that could pave the way for a meeting between John Paul and...
- Pope meets with Yeltsin. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;02/20/98, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p8
Reports that Pope John Paul II and Russian President Boris Yeltsin met privately on February 10, 1998 at the Vatican to discuss social and religious changes in Russia. Russian law on freedom of conscience and religious associations; List of the religions recognized by the law in Russia; Comment...
- Notes on church-state affairs: Russia. Beck, Rosalie; Hendon, David W. // Journal of Church & State;Winter94, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p197
Reports on the second refusal of Russian President Boris Yeltsin to sign the amendments on the country's law on religion. Lessening of restrictions; Dissolution of the parliament; Continuing crisis at Tajikistan.
- FOR THE RECORD. // National Review;6/27/1994, Vol. 46 Issue 12, p6
The article presents commentaries on world politics as of June 27, 1994. U.S. President Bill Clinton was criticized by the Vatican for his assertion that there was a narrowing difference between him and Pope John Paul II on issues of United Nations contraception and abortion programs. U.S....
- Yeltsin hands back new religion law. // Christian Century;08/13/97, Vol. 114 Issue 23, p723
Reports that Russian President Boris Yeltsin has declined to approve legislation which would have strengthened protection for the country's traditional religions. Creation of difficulties for foreign religious groups; Yeltsin's ignoring of Patriarch Alexsy, leader of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- ANGLICANORUM COETIBUS--SOME CANONICAL INVESTIGATIONS ON THE RECENT APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION. GALLES, DUANE L. C. M. // Jurist: Studies in Church Order & Ministry;2011, Vol. 71 Issue 1, p201
The article focuses on the apostolic constitution on Anglican ordinariates that bear the incipit Anglicanorum coetibus released on November 4, 2009. It details the specific and individual provisions of the new document. The personal apostolic administration, a new type of personal ecclesiastical...
- Russia's 1997 Law on Freedom of Conscience in Context and Retrospect. Daniel, Wallace L.; Marsh, Christopher // Journal of Church & State;Winter2007, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p5
This article reflects on the tenth anniversary of Russia's 1997 Law on Freedom of Conscience in Context and Retrospect. The law, which was signed under Boris Yeltsin, signaled a new era in religious freedom in Russia, as well as an end in allowing Western missionaries to proselytize their...
- SENTIDO Y SIGNIFICADO DE LA HISTORIA PARA EL CANONISTA. TERRÁNEO, Sebastián // Anuario Argentino de Derecho CanÃ³nico;2011, Vol. 17, p179
The article elaborates on the significance of history and the practice of law in regards to Canon Law of the Catholic Church. The author discusses such topics as the legal configuration of the church as impacting its identity, as well as new legislative techniques introduced to the...
- PAPAL TERM UNITS? Gillis, Chester // Commonweal;9/10/2004, Vol. 131 Issue 15, p12
Discusses the papacy of Pope Paul II and its implications for the Catholic Church. Cocern on the physical capacity of the Pope to serve the church; Arguments on the Pope's term of service; Stipulation of the Canon 401 Â§ 2 of the Code of Canon Law in relation to the resignation of the clergy.