WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- And the new pope is... Greenstein, Jennifer; Horowitz, Janice M. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/21/96, Issue 43, p20
Presents an excerpt from the October 30, 1978 issue of `Time' magazine, which reports on the selection of Poland's Cardinal Karol Wojtyla as pope of the Roman Catholic Church. His papal name, Pope John Paul II.
- Who will be first among us? Fedarko, Kevin; Burke, Greg // Time;12/26/1994, Vol. 144 Issue 26, p72
Looks at speculation about who will succeed Pope John Paul II. Views about whether or not the next pope will be Italian; Carlo Maria Martini; Silvano Piovanelli; Pio Cardinal Laghi; Jean-Marie Lustiger, the Archbishop of Paris; Francis Cardinal Arinze; More.
- Of cardinals and conclaves. Reese, Thomas J. // America;
Focuses on the appointment of cardinals by Pope John Paul II. Setting of the stage for the election of the next pope; Reduction of the percentage of cardinals from Italy, Europe and the Curia; Increased percentage of cardinals from Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa; Delegation of authority;...
- The next pope. Sheler, Jeffery L.; Dimmler, Eleni; Daniel, Missy // U.S. News & World Report;05/11/98, Vol. 124 Issue 18, p52
Discusses issues related to the choice of a successor for Pope John Paul II. How John Paul has influence over the choice of his successor; Historic significance of John Paul's time as pope; His accomplishments and weaknesses; Issues considered when choosing a pope; Changes made by John Paul as...
- New rules would resolve impasse in conclave. Heilbronner, Steven // National Catholic Reporter;3/8/96, Vol. 32 Issue 19, p6
Reports on revisions on papal conclaves made by Pope John Paul II. Permission for cardinals to use secret ballots; Documents containing and referring to the revisions; Sessions required in electing new popes.
- Here's a plan for the next pope's busy first day. Farrell, Michael J. // National Catholic Reporter;11/19/99, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p36
Editorial. Discusses the opportunities available for the next pope after Pope John Paul II. Description of the papabili aspect of the papal candidates; Details on the tradition and psychological conditioning of the popes; Forecast on the probable activities of the next pope on his first day.
- Pick the Pope. // Spy Magazine;Dec97/Jan98 Special Issue Holiday, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p18
Presents the options for the name of the next Roman Catholic pope after Pope John Paul II.
- The New Shepherd. Gibbs, Nancy; Bonfante, Jordan; Tersely, Jeff; Michaels, Marguerite; Padgett, Tim // Time International (South Pacific Edition);5/2/2005, Issue 17, p14
The article focuses on the election of Pope Benedict XVI. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger had been selected for being the 265th Pope and after the two-thirds vote of papal conclave's fourth ballot, he would be elected as the successor of Pope John Paul II. Earlier Ratzinger was Pope John Paul II's...
- Pope Restores Two-thirds Rule for Papal Election. // America;7/16/2007, Vol. 197 Issue 2, p8
The article reports that Pope Benedict XVI has restored the two-thirds majority rule when electing a new Pope. Pope Benedict opposed a procedure introduced by Pope John Paul II in 1996, after he stated in a document released in June 26, 2007 that the two-thirds-majority rule will not be set...