WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- REDOCTRINALIZING ANGLICANISM. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul1996, Issue 64, p65
Comments on the heresy trial of retired Episcopal Bishop Walter C. Righter for having violated church order by ordaining a homosexual not pledged to chastity. Number of bishops who supported the ordination of homosexuals; Criticisms on the lack of a an authoritative teaching of the church on the...
- New twist in heresy trial. R.N.S. // Christian Century;2/21/96, Vol. 113 Issue 6, p193
Reports on the controversy of whether Episcopal Bishop Walter Righter committed heresy when he ordained as deacon Barry Stopfel, a noncelibate homosexual. Church doctrine on the ordination of homosexuals; Charges filed against Righter; Split of his trial into two parts.
- Jury still out on homosexual ordination. Frame, Randy // Christianity Today;4/29/96, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p54
Reports on the United States Episcopal Church's nine-member court's delay in making a decision following the February 27, 1996 heresy hearing of retired bishop Walter Righter. Charges made against Righter regarding his decision to ordain Barry Stopfel, an openly practicing homosexual, as a...
- Questions set in heresy trial. R.N.S. // Christian Century;12/20/95, Vol. 112 Issue 37, p1238
Reports on developments in the heresy trial against retired Episcopal Church Bishop Walter Righter. Ordaining noncelibate gay Barry Stopfel as a deacon; Costs for Righter's trial; Features of the pretrial hearing; Dismissal of a challenge filed by the church advocate.
- A revelation. Dahir, Mubarak S. // Advocate;06/25/96, Issue 710, p40
Looks at the May 15, 1996 decision by a special court of Episcopal bishops which dismissed heresy charges against retired bishop Walter Righter for his 1990 ordination of Barry Stopfel, a noncelibate gay man. Stopfel's reactions to the decision; Possible resurfacing of the issue in the 1997...
- The gentlemen's club. Bawer, Bruce // Advocate;11/14/95, Issue 694, p120
Focuses on the Episcopal Church's first heresy trial involving retired bishop Walter C. Righter. Charges of ordaining a gay man, Barry Stopfel, as a deacon.
- Gay ordination blocked. // Christian Century;8/8/90 - 8/15/90, Vol. 107 Issue 23, p729
Reports that Episcopal bishop John Shelby Spong will not ordain gay candidate Barry Stopfel. Ordination blocked according to a request from Presiding Bishop Edmond Browning.
- United Church of Christ ordains a homosexual. Gayer, Richard // Advocate;7/19/72, Issue 90, p10
Reports that a homosexual has been ordained as a United Church of Christ priest in California. Difference between moralistic and redemptive religion; Symbol of ordination.
- Minister bolts over Johnson. // Advocate;7/19/72, Issue 90, p10
Reports on the protest against the ordination of a gay priest at the United Church of Christ in California.