WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- One Nation Under God. Coleman, John A. // America;3/12/2012, Vol. 206 Issue 8, p19
The article focuses on the issue of pleasing both church and state in a pluralistic society. One could expect Catholics to be supportive of the religious liberty of other minorities Jews, Muslims and Mormons. Religious pacifists are not bound to military conscription out of respect for religious...
- CHURCH AND STATE. Doerr, Edd // Humanist;Jan/Feb91, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p41
Explores the relationship between the Church and state. History of Church-state separation; Aspects of religious freedom; Responsibility of schools in teaching about religious freedom and church-state separation; Tax aid for religious institutions; Forms of government meddling with religion.
- 'First Freedom First presentsï¿½. Leaming, Jeremy // Church & State;Mar2008, Vol. 61 Issue 3, p15
The article offers information on the "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Separation of Church and State ï¿½ but Were Afraid to Ask!" gathering in the U.S. on March 26, 2008. The event, hosted by the First Freedom First (FFF) organization, is designed to celebrate Americans who...
- Satanic Temple Wins Right To Erect Diorama In Florida Capitol Building - With Help From Americans United. Brown, Simon // Church & State;Jan2015, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p11
The article reports that the New York-based Satanic Temple has won rights to erect a display in the rotunda of the Florida Capitol building as of December 2014, with the help of Americans United (AU), a group advocating separation of church & state in the U.S. It mentions that according to AU,...
- AU's Barry Lynn Receives Freedom Of Worship Award From Roosevelt Foundation. // Church & State;Nov2011, Vol. 64 Issue 10, p19
The article announces that Americans United (AU) executive director Barry W. Lynn has received the Freedom of Worship Award from the Roosevelt Institute.
- Americans United files first suit challenging a U.S. faith-based grant. // Christian Century;10/17/2006, Vol. 123 Issue 21, p17
The article reports on the organization Americans United for Separation of Church and State and a lawsuit it filed to stop a federal government faith-based grant to a Christian marriage counseling organization. According to Americans United's head, Barry Lynn, the verdict may have widespread...
- If Not Now, When? The Case for Religious Liberty in the State of Israel. Gross-Schaefer, Arthur; Jacobsen, Wayne // Journal of Church & State;Summer2002, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p539
Determines the role of religion in Israel and whether the government and Knesset should provide protection of religious liberty and freedom of conscience while offering religious groups equal treatment under the law. Historical background of the Zionist movement in Israel; Basic goal of...
- The Menace of Neutrality in Religion. Moens, Gabriël A. // Brigham Young University Law Review;2004, Vol. 2004 Issue 2, p535
Assesses the use of the neutrality principle in addressing the conflicts between the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause. Impact of the neutrality principle on the importance of religion in public life; Challenges faced by organized religions in the U.S.; Interpretation of the...
- Church-State Relations and the Legal Status of Religious Communities in Slovenia. Šturm, Lovro // Brigham Young University Law Review;2004, Vol. 2004 Issue 2, p607
Focuses on the constitutional and statutory provisions affecting religious communities in Slovenia. History of the relationship of church and state; List of modern trends in church-state cooperation; Rights pertaining to religious exercise that are protected by the Slovenian constitution.