WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Social Security trust funds and Grandma's bed. Robinson, Elton // Southwest Farm Press Exclusive Insight;6/ 6/2012, p4
The author reflects on 2012 annual report from the U.S. government which estimates the exhaustion of Social Security trust funds three years earlier than was projected in 2011. He narrates how Social Security allowed his own mother to live independently of her children after it was introduced in...
- Let the Games Begin! McIntyre, Robert S. // American Prospect;9/24/2001-10/8/2001, Vol. 12 Issue 17, p8
Comments on the conflict between U.S. President George W. Bush's tax cuts and public programs. Deficit estimated outside of Medicare trust funds; Scheme invented by Republicans in Congress.
- Tolerating the tolerant. Sandel, Michael J. // New Republic;7/15/96-7/22/96, Vol. 215 Issue 3/4, p25
Provides an insight into the political concept of toleration based on moral issues such as abortion, smoking and slavery in the U.S. Views on a politician's call for a declaration of tolerance toward pro-choice Republicans; Conflict between political and moral stand when it comes to the issue...
- Coast-to-Coast Controversies. // Scholastic Update;10/19/98, Vol. 131 Issue 4, p12
Focuses on abortion and gambling in the United States in 1998, with focus on politics. Examination of the rights of women to an abortion in the US; Discussion on the abortion method called intact D and X; Rate of the development of casinos; Impact of gambling on Americans; Economic benefits of...
- Challenges for a (Somewhat) Pro-Life Congress. Doerflinger, Richard M. // America;6/9/2003, Vol. 188 Issue 19, p13
Focuses on the abortion issue in the U.S. politics, as of June 2003. Result of public opinion polls on abortion; Effect of the issue of abortion on the vote of the voters in the 2002 elections; Details of the prolife initiatives that may be considered by the U.S. Congress.
- New Congress, new agenda. Stricherz, Mark // Christianity Today;Jan2003, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p22
Focuses on the views of conservative Christians in the U.S. on issues concerning abortion, judgeships and cloning. Legislation proposed to regulate abortion; Comments from Robert Edgar, general secretary of the mainline National Council of Churches; Legislation introduced by Senator Sam...
- Issues. Acomb, Deborah L. // National Journal;5/3/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 18, p1400
Presents news briefs on politics in the U.S. as of May 2003. Public opinion on tax-cut measures; Result of a survey on abortion.
- Clinton trades abortion for United Nations' dues. // Off Our Backs;Dec99, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p3
Reports on United States President Bill Clinton's compromise deal with the US Congress regarding the country's payment of its back dues to the United Nations. Provisions of the agreement; Restriction on US funding for international organizations promoting abortion.
- U.S. politics ignores the poor. Zemek, Matt // National Catholic Reporter;12/26/2003, Vol. 40 Issue 9, p19
Focuses on the indifference of the American political system to the plight of the poor. Failure of politicians to express solidarity with the poor; Promotion of incorporating abortion into the themes of political debates; Criticisms against the political platform of the Republican and...