Episcopalians: The Leftward Center
- Creeping Sanity. Oliver, Daniel // National Review;10/26/1979, Vol. 31 Issue 43, p1362
The article discusses the changes adopted by the Episcopal Church during its general convention in Denver, Colorado. Episcopalians agreed to use a revised version of the 1928 prayer book and women of the Church voted not to support the Equal Rights Amendment. According to the author, these...
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Mar1997, Issue 71, p69
Addresses issues concerning the plan of Episcopalians to hold a national conference entitled Beyond Inclusion: Celebrating Gay and Lesbian Commitments and Ministries Within the Episcopal Church. Features of the conference; List of topics to be discussed in the event.
- Spong ordains homosexual. // Christianity Today;2/5/90, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p55
Reports on the controversial appointment of a practicing homosexual man to the priesthood, by Episcopal Bishop John Spong. Criticism of Spong's action by the Episcopal Synod of America (ESA).
- What's an Episcopalian? // Time;10/6/1961, Vol. 78 Issue 14, p54
The article reports that the House of Bishops and the House of Deputies of the Protestant Episcopal Church has finally agreed on the definition of Episcopalian according to three terms which include member, member in good standing and communicant in good standing.
- Tedium Yes, Ministration No. // Time;9/29/1961, Vol. 78 Issue 13, p67
The article reports on the tour of Episcopalian bishops, priests and laymen to the 20th century workingman in Detroit, Michigan. It notes that the tour was sponsored by the members of the Episcopalian human affairs commission and explained that the industrial workers were practically untouched...
- From the Executive Director. Tollefson, Rebecca J. // Ohio Christian News;Aug2009, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p2
The article focuses on the Convention for the Episcopal Church with the theme UBUNTU, meaning I in You and You in Me from the gospel of John.
- Pittsburgh diocese votes to exit Episcopal Church. // Christian Century;11/4/2008, Vol. 125 Issue 22, p18
The article reports on the official voting decision of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 4, 2008 to secede from alignment of the Episcopal Church and append to the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone. A brief overview of the reasons for the conflicts is provided and...
- Ordination Consternation. Cebula, Judith // Indianapolis Monthly;Jun2004, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p56
Every morning when she was 12 years old, Catherine Waynick made her way to St. Peter's Episcopal Church in her hometown of Tecumseh, Michigan. Waynick is now bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolisâ€” a job in which she oversees 10,000 church members in 48 congregations in central...
- Episcopal bishops seek 'oneness.' // Christian Century;04/04/2001, Vol. 118 Issue 11, p8
Reports the aim of bishops of the Episcopal Church to bring unity to their church which was discussed during their meeting in March 2001. Discussion on the issue of homosexuality which divides the church; Deferment of a proposal that would have censured the United States church for its...