Typology and the Public Church
- TYPOLOGICAL TRANSFER IN LITURGICAL OFFICES AND RELIGIOUS PLAYS OF THE MIDDLE AGES. Stemmler, Theo // Studies in the Literary Imagination;Spring75, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p123
Examines a modified concept of type and typology as developed in biblical hermeneutics. Concise definition of Scriptural typology; Connection between typological hermeneutics and typological technique that has been neatly summed by H. Grundmann.
- The Denomination Called Catholic. Carlin, David R. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Nov1997, Issue 77, p18
Talks about reform proposals to Protestantize the Catholic Church in the U.S. Liberal agenda for Catholic reform; Forms of organized religion; History of the development of sociological typology.
- HISTORIES: WORKS CITED. // Dante for the New Millennium;2003, p369
The article presents a list of books including "Christians and Jews in the Twelfth Century Renaissance," by Anna Sapir Abulafia, "Binding the Book: Hermeneutics and Manuscript Production in Paradiso 33," by John Ahern and "Events and Their Afterlife: The Dialects of Christian Typology in the...
- TYPOLOGY. // Columbia Dictionary of Modern Literary & Cultural Criticism;1995, p311
A definition of the term "typology" is presented. It is a branch of hermeneutics in the Christian theology which establishes relationships between persons, places, things as well events from both the Old and New Testaments. It is similar to, but profoundly different from, allegorical...
- Atonement and the Christian Life. Duff, Nancy J. // Interpretation: A Journal of Bible & Theology;Jan99, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p21
Discusses a feminist perspective on Reformed Christian doctrine and on atonement. Discussion on two deficiencies of traditional typologies; Role of experience; How by employing the threefold prophetic offices of Christ to interpret the atonement preserves the tenets of classical Christian dogma.
- HERBERT'S 'LOVE (III)' AND AUGUSTINE ON WISDOM. Lynch, Denise // English Language Notes;Sep89, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p40
Presents the typology of the Proverbs in the book 'The City of God.' Biblical sources of religion; Recapitulation of the old covenant; Criticism on biblical text.
- THE RELATION BETWEEN IDEOLOGY AND ORGANIZATION IN A SMALL RELIGIOUS GROUP: THE BRITISH ISRAELITIES. Wilson, John // Review of Religious Research;Fall68, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p51
Some recent typologies of religious groups have taken as their basis the religious group's response to the world, implying that there exists a pattern of association between this response and the organization, which expresses it. This paper presents some of the findings from research into a...
- TYPOLOGY AND THEOLOGY IN NORTHROP FRYE'S BIBLICAL HERMENEUTIC. Velaidum, Joe // Literature & Theology;Jun2003, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p156
This paper addresses Northrop Frye's biblical hermeneutic. Frye intends his interpretation of the Bible to be 'literary' (as opposed to theological) which for him means that it explicates how or why a poet reads the Bible. In so doing, Frye employs typology, believing that he is able to...
- Types of Ecotheology. Scott, Peter // Ecotheology: Journal of Religion, Nature & the Environment;Jan1998, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the types and typology of ecotheology. Indication of an increase in the number of dialogue partners for theology; Evaluation of inadequate typologies; Characterization of the four classifications of ecotheology.