WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- More Asian representation needed. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;02/20/98, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p8
Reports that the International Catholic Movement for Intellectual and Cultural Affairs-Pax Romana says the lack of Asian representation in Vatican bodies appears to have contributed to misunderstandings in the case of Sri Lankan Oblate Tissa Balasuriya. Cause of the excommunication of...
- Slam dunk brings Balasuriya in from the cold. // National Catholic Reporter;02/20/98, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p28
Editorial. Focuses on the move of the ten Oblate priests, including Tissa, to solve the Tissa Balasuriya problem. Thomas Singer's strategy for negotiations; Lifting of the excommunication of Balasuriya.
- Rome tribunal turns Tissa down. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;03/07/97, Vol. 33 Issue 18, p8
Reports on Pope John Paul II's affirmation of the excommunication of Oblate priest Tissa Balasuriya, theologian from Sri Lanka for committing heresy. Remedies available to Balasuriya; Confession signed by Balasuriya with an attached caveat.
- Excommunication lifted. // U.S. Catholic;Apr98, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p9
Reports that excommunicated Sri Lankan clergy, Tissa Balasuriya was pardoned in a reconciliation ceremony in January 1998. Comments on the issue.
- Bishop decries excommunication. // National Catholic Reporter;06/20/97, Vol. 33 Issue 32, p9
Cites Japanese Catholic Bishop Peter Takeo Okada's criticism of Vatican for its excommunication of the Catholic priest Tissa Balasuriya. Letter addressed to Cardinal Roger Etchegaray urging him to advocate for Balasuriya's at the Vatican.
- Excommunication denounced. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;12/26/97, Vol. 34 Issue 9, p9
Reports that German theologian Norbert Greinacher has written Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger denouncing the excommunication of Sri Lankan Father Tissa Balasuriya.
- Oblate played key role in reconciliation. Schaeffer, Pamela // National Catholic Reporter;02/20/98, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p10
Discusses the role of Oblate Father Thomas Singer as a facilitator during the talks involving Father Tissa Balasuriya, who have been declared excommunicated as heretic by the Vatican on January 2, 1997. Introduction of Balasuriya's book `Mary and Human Liberation,' which caused his...
- Balasuriya excommunicated. // National Catholic Reporter;10/24/2014, Vol. 50 Issue 27, p39
The article offers information related to the excommunication of the Oblate Father Tissa Balasuriya under Canon 1364, a church law that is applied to apostates and heretics by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger on January 2, 1997 due to his crusade against relativism.
- Tissa ouster not canonically legal, lawyers says. Schaeffer, Pamela // National Catholic Reporter;08/01/97, Vol. 33 Issue 35, p9
Highlights the defense presented by the lawyer of excommunicated Oblate priest Tissa Balasuriya. Invalidity of excommunication due to the Holy See's failure to comply with procedures under the canon law.