WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Catholics for Free Choice say threats from church authorities use Eucharist sacrament as a political tool. // Empty Closet;May2004, Issue 368, pA8
Focuses on the statement released by Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for a Free Choice, on April 12, 2004 concerning the threat by church leaders to deny the right to the Eucharist sacraments to Catholics who disagree with church suggestions. Information on Canon law; Functions of the...
- Send it to committee. Grace, Kevin Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;07/28/97, Vol. 24 Issue 33, p22
Presents excerpts from a debate between Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for a Free Choice, and Faye Wattleton, former president of Planned Parenthood of America, concerning abortion.
- CHOICE WORDS. Bradley, Jennifer // New Republic;2/27/95, Vol. 212 Issue 9, p16
Discusses the views of Frances Kissling, president of the organization Catholics for a Free Choice, regarding abortion rights. Educational and career background of Kissling; Principle behind the views of Kissling; Concerns of the author regarding the arguments of Kissling.
- Refraining the abortion debate. McBrien, Richard // National Catholic Reporter;3/4/2005, Vol. 41 Issue 18, p17
The article reports that in her groundbreaking article in the winter 2004/5 issue of the "Conscience," magazine, Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for Free Choice, attempted to mark out a path to resolve the present stalemate over abortion. Addressing advocates on both sides of this...
- U.S. Bishops Downsize Their Conference. // America;12/4/2006, Vol. 195 Issue 18, p6
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops on November 14, 2006 to restructure their national operations. The U.S. bishops voted to reduce the number of their committees and cut in diocesan assessments for the conference in 2008. The impact of the decision...
- VOTF un-banned. // Commonweal;5/23/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 10, p6
Reports on the move of several Catholic bishops to ban the lay Catholic reform group Voice of the Faithful from meeting on church grounds. Reason for banning the group; Effort of Bishop Thomas V. Daily of Brooklyn, New York City to lift the ban.
- Status quo or NGO? // U.S. Catholic;May2000, Vol. 65 Issue 5, p10
Reports that a group led by Catholics for a Free Choice launched a campaign seeking to change the Holy See's status in the United Nations from that of a nonmember state permanent observer to a nongovernmental organization (NGO). Comments from Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for a Free...
- Life Begins at Conversation. Quindlen, Anna // Newsweek;11/29/2004, Vol. 144 Issue 22, p82
Comments on the conversation about abortion and women's rights. Belief that the abortion debate has progressed little since the passing of Roe v. Wade; Claim that the polarizing issue of abortion has helped to create the bitter divide in the United States; Pro-choice arguments made by Frances...
- Ecuador's Catholics fight rewrite of constitution. Bermudez, Alejandro // Our Sunday Visitor;9/21/2008, Vol. 97 Issue 21, p4
The article discusses the opposition of Ecuador's Catholics on the document containing pro-abortion and pro-same-sex marriage language in 2008. Released by President Rafael Correa, the document must pass a national referendum on September 28, 2008. The Ecuadorian bishops' conference asserted...