WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Supreme Court Upholds Affirmative Action. // University Business;Jul2003, Vol. 6 Issue 7, p14
Focuses on the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court to upheld the University of Michigan's use of race as a factor in its law school admissions. Reaction of David L. Warren, president of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, to the decision; Impact of the ruling on...
- AFFIRMATIVE ACTION UPHELD. Hocker, Cliff; Hughes, Alan // Black Enterprise;Sep2003, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p23
Reports the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court which upheld race-conscious admission practices of the University of Michigan Law School in 2003. Background of the case; Reaction to the ruling; Efforts to promote affirmative action issues in California.
- DEPT. OF RUINING IT FOR EVERYBODY. // Cincinnati Magazine;Jan2004, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p20
In a September interview with The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper, first amendment scholar Eugene Volokh of UCLA Law School suggested that a case against the federal Do Not Call list could be quite defensible. The precedent, he said, was set by a 1993 U.S. Supreme Court decision about a battle...
- Potential Justices: Paul Clement. // National Journal;7/26/2008, p5
The article features Paul Clement, the former solicitor general of U.S. President George W. Bush and a visiting professor at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C., who is one of the potential judicial nominees in 2008. He has been praised as one of the best advocates of the...
- Supreme Court upholds Solomon Amendment. Roehr, Bob // Bay Area Reporter;3/9/2006, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p8
The article on the ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court on the case Forum for Academic and Institutional Rights (FAIR) v. Donald Rumsfeld, that Congress can require law schools to grant military recruiters the same access to students as they do other employers, or risk losing all federal funding....
- Important Cases of the Supreme Court. // Monkeyshines on the United States Government;2001, p50
Outlines several important cases pending before the U.S. Supreme Court. Details of the case between Marbury versus Madison; Relevance of the case of McCulloch versus Maryland; Impact of the ruling on the case of Plassy versus Ferguson.
- THE HAGUE DECISIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT. // America;6/17/1939, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p228
The author reflects on the verdict the U.S. Supreme Court passed against the ordinances related to peace and order of Mayor Hague of Jersey City in 1939. He believes it vindicated the rights of those under the 14th Amendment. It affirms the right to assemble peacefully, the privilege to...
- Supreme Court box score. // American Bar Association Journal;Jun79, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p901
Presents a summary of U.S. Supreme Court rulings compiled as of June 1979. Consideration for entrance to law school under special admissions program for disadvantaged persons; Disqualification of aliens with no intent of obtaining citizenship from public school teacher licensing; Blanket...
- Supreme Court Report. Young, Rowland L. // American Bar Association Journal;Jun79, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p953
Presents several U.S. Supreme Court rulings compiled as of June 1979. Constitutional privilege of press members against inquiry into editorial processes; Gender-based classifications in adoption of illegitimate children; Prohibition against certification of aliens as public school teachers.