Same-Sex Marriage: As Hawaii Goes . .
- New Jersey Appellate Division Rejects Same-Sex Marriage Claim. Leo Wong // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Jul2005, p136
The article reports that a 2-1 decision issued by a sharply divided New Jersey Appellate Division Panel on June 14 condones a separate-but-not-equal-scheme for same-sex couples in Lewis vs. Harris, 2005 WL 1388578. Plaintiffs are seven same-sex couples. Defendants are state officials with...
- Court rules couples may wed. // Bay Windows;5/20/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 23, p41
Recounts the decision of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court on the Goodridge versus Massachusetts Department of Public Health case on November 18, 2003 which granted marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Details of the majority opinion authored by Justice Margaret Marshall in line with...
- Supreme Court passes on gay marriage case. Keen, Lisa // Bay Windows;10/12/2006, Vol. 24 Issue 43, p5
The article reports on a lawsuit filed same-sex couple Arthur Smelt and Christopher Hammer in the U.S. Supreme Court to challenge the ruling that agrees with the Orange County, California to refuse granting marriage licenses to same-sex couples. It is said that gay legal establishment did not...
- EDITOR'S LETTER. // Gay Community News;Jan2010, Issue 241, p3
The article discusses the court decision about a lesbian couple raising a child that is considered a de facto family and entitled to the protection of family rights under the European Convention of Human Rights in Ireland. The birthfather seeks want access to his son but the High Court ruled...
- CALIFORNIA. Radosta, Jim // Just Out;9/17/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 22, p21
Reports on the decision of the Superior Court in Sacramento, California to dismiss a lawsuit that sought to block legal protections for same-sex couples that are to go into effect in January 2005. Bases of the court's ruling; Reaction of the gay community.
- Copyright Confusion. Seidenberg, Steve // InsideCounsel;Dec2007, Vol. 17 Issue 193, p24
The article discusses a court case wherein the plaintiffs challenged statutory changes in the Copyright Act including Section 514 of the Uruguay Round Agreements. The 10th Circuit's decision on September 4, 2007 in the case Golan v. Gonzales directed the trial court in Colorado to find out if...
- ONTARIANS PLAN MARRIAGE CASE. // Bay Windows;5/25/2000, pN.PAG
Reports on the plan by a dozen gays and lesbians in Ontario to file a lawsuit in the state to demand the right to marry. Refusal by officials at the City Hall to provide a reason for their refusal to grant marriage licenses to gay couples in the state.
- Lambda Legal files suit against NYC. // Empty Closet;Apr2004, Issue 367, pA15
Reports on the move of the Lambda Legal, a law firm in New York, to file a lawsuit at the New York Supreme Court in Manhattan to seek the right to marry of same-sex couples in the state. Arguments by the law firm that denying marriage to same-sex couples violates the state Constitution's...
- Same-sex couples in Tampa, Orlando sue to challenge state marriage ban. // Gay & Lesbian Times;7/22/2004, Issue 865, p26
Reports on the separate lawsuits filed by three same-sex couples to overturn the ban on same-sex marriage in Florida. Definition of marriage under the state's law; Problems experienced by the couples in seeking marriage license from the state.