WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Cuba Libre? Buckley, Wm. F. // National Review;2/23/1998, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p28
This article focuses on the visit of Pope John Paul II to Cuba. Cuba's President Fidel Castro tried to appropriate the papal visit. The invitation to visit Cuba did not come from Castro. It came from the Cuban bishops. Castro counted on getting from the Pope some rhetoric that would make him...
- Ancient warriors. // Commonweal;02/13/98, Vol. 125 Issue 3, p5
Comments about the significance of the visit of Pope John Paul II to the transition of the Cuban society. How Cuban President Fidel Castro treated the pope during his visit; Effects of the 1961 United States economic embargo on Cuba.
- Notes on church-state affairs: Australia. Beck, Rosalie; Hendon, David W. // Journal of Church & State;Spring95, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p448
Reports that Pope John Paul II addressed controversial issues on gender and the Catholic Church during a visit to Sydney, Australia on January 19, 1995. Proclamation of Mary MacKillop as blessed; Opposition of the church to discrimination; Stress on the role of women.
- Of Many Things. J. O'H. // America;5/28/1983, Vol. 148 Issue 21, preceding p409
The article focuses on the issues between the Catholic Church and the state in Poland. It notes on the implication to the state's relationship with the Catholic church when 68-years old priest Stefan Dzierzek was arrested for his support for anti-government activity which has been severely...
- Pope visits Catholic minority in Jamaica. Slavin, J.P. // National Catholic Reporter;8/27/93, Vol. 29 Issue 37, p6
Reports on Pope John Paul II's three-day visit to Jamaica starting August 9, 1993. Concern over church's role in the colonial slave trade; Percentage of Catholics; Association with political figures and prominent families.
- Pain and paradox of a pope on a mission. West, Morris L. // National Catholic Reporter;1/27/95, Vol. 31 Issue 13, p6
Focuses on the problems faced by Pope John Paul as he goes on his mission of global salvation. Highlights of papal visit to Australia in January 1995; Beatification of Mother Mary MacKillop; Pope's sensitivity to human condition; Causes of grief for the Pope.
- Unity depends on mutual efforts. // National Catholic Reporter;4/13/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 24, p28
Editorial. Comments on the plan of Pope John Paul II to visit Greece and the Ukraine. Efforts of the Pope to improve relations with Christian Orthodox churches; History of the breach of the relationship between the two branches of Christianity; Overview of Orthodoxy.
- BELOVED AND BRAVE. Woodward, Kenneth L.; Dickey, Christopher; Pentin, Edward; Nadeau, Barbie // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);4/11/2005 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 145 Issue 15, p20
Reports on the death and legacy of Pope John Paul II who died on April 2, 2005. Strength he had to endure physical ailments including Parkinson's disease; Trips he made during his time as Pope to 129 countries; How the Pope grew up under Nazism and Communism reigns; Efforts to promote...
- Papal tour prompts Peruvian "clean-up". // Body Politic;Mar85, Issue 112, p17
Reports on the arrest of vagrants, prostitutes and homosexuals in Lima, Peru, in preparation for the visit of Pope John Paul II to the city. Call of the Catholic church to close Lima's legal brothels; Arrest of leftist leaders; Information on the Peruvian gay group Movimiento Homosexual de Lima.