WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- The Pope in Austria. Kuehnelt-Leddihn, Erik V. // National Review;10/28/1983, Vol. 35 Issue 21, p1344
The article focuses on the visit of Pope John Paul II to Vienna, Austria in September 1983. The Pope's visit coincided with two important Austrian celebrations. One is the Austrian National Catholic Assembly and the other, the tricentennial of the victory by the Christian armies of Europe over...
- Buckley on the Pope's Cuban visit. Buckley Jr., William F. // Cortlandt Forum;02/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p253
Comments on Pope John Paul II's visit to Cuba. American perspective on Cuba; Cuban leader Fidel Castro's actions against priests of the Roman Catholic Church; Symbolism of the visit.
- China's Catholicism with a twist twisting free? Henderson, Leslie // National Catholic Reporter;7/2/93, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p13
Focuses on the state of Catholicism in China. Imprisonments, torture and death suffered by some Chinese Catholics; Membership in the government-sanctioned Catholic church; Recognition that Pope John Paul II is the head of the church.
- FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSESâ€¦. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul2000, Issue 104, p81
Focuses on public reaction to the Catholic Church's public confession of the sins of her children over the centuries. Concerns raised by cardinals; Pope John Paul II's awareness of the risks involved; Sign of the Church's confidence in the forgiving and renewing grace of God in Christ;...
- Jewish Leaders Laud Papal Apology. // America;04/01/2000, Vol. 182 Issue 11, p4
States that Pope John Paul II's jubilee-year apology for wrongs committed by Catholics has drawn strong praise from United States religious leaders. Rabbinical groups that hailed the pope's leadership.
- The Papacy for an Ecumenical Age. Orsy, Ladislas // America;10/21/2000, Vol. 183 Issue 12, p9
Comments on the efforts of the Roman Catholic Church to find ways of exercising the papal ministry. Need for perpetual conversion; Challenges posed by Pope John Paul II's request for perpetual conversion; Association between a universal church and particular churches; Appointment of Bishops;...
- Forward to the Past. Doerr, Edd // Humanist;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p38
Discusses some points of disagreements in the catechism of the Catholic Church approved by Pope John Paul II on October 11, 1992. Authentical interpretation of the word of God; Universal power of the Roman Pontiff; Celibacy requirement for priests; Mixed marriages; Family planning and religious...
- Pope approves efforts to join with mainland bishops. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;2/8/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 14, p7
Reports on the approval of Pope John Paul II for efforts of Taiwanese bishops to reconcile with the divided mainland Chinese church. Benefits of the efforts for mutual understanding among the two churches; Pope's acceptance of the two state solution favored by Taiwan.
- If it's not infallible, is the pope not sure? Farrell, Michael J. // National Catholic Reporter;9/2/94, Vol. 30 Issue 38, p14
Focuses on miscellanea related to the Pope John Paul II and the Catholic Church. Includes comments on papal letter on ordination of women as priests; Infallibility of the pope; San Diego, California `News Notes' newspaper's articles on the pope.