Santer pledges reforms in wake of EC fraud scandal
- Putting EU to work. McClenahen, John S. // Industry Week/IW;5/15/95, Vol. 244 Issue 10, p62
Outlines the work agenda of Jacques Santer, president of the European Commission. Strengthen the economy; Reduction of unemployment; Preparation for monetary union.
- Russian crisis. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Sep/Oct98, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p24
Reports on European Commission's review of Russia's economic and political developments and assesment of the impact on the European economy. Comments from Jacques Santer, European Commission president.
- Eurofinances aren't all rosy. Moulier, Philippe // U.S. News & World Report;01/25/99, Vol. 126 Issue 3, p41
Reports the suspected embezzlement of some of the 1996 budget of the European Union (EU) by the European Commission (EC). Punishments expected for commissioners of the EC; Amount of the EU budget wasted or lost to fraud since 1994; Promises made by EC president Jacques Santer.
- The faceless ones are in a flap. Bates, Stephen // New Statesman;03/12/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4427, p20
Focuses on the political crisis in the European Commission. Allegations of fraud and mismanagement against education commissioner Edith Cresson; Actions taken by commssioner Jacques Santer; Claims of accountant Paul van Buitenen.
- Big Buildup to a Euro Letdown. Graff, James L.; Crumley, Bruce; Gibson, Helen; Sautter, Ursula // Time International (South Pacific Edition);1/25/1999, Issue 4, p26
Describes the criticism leveled at the European Commission (EC) by members of the European Parliament. Nature of the crisis at the EC; Movement to censure the EC by the parliament; Need for more political accountability for the European Union; Role of the euro in European politics; Criticism of...
- Opening EU halls of power. Ford, Peter // Christian Science Monitor;3/17/99, Vol. 91 Issue 76, p1
Discusses the implications of the resignation on March 16, 1999, of the European Commission's (EC's) executive leadership. First time the EC has been held responsible for its behavior; Need for European Union (EU) reform; Comments from the EC's Thierry Daman; Announcement of the resignations by...
- Scientists welcome Prodi as European Commission president. Abbott, Alison // Nature;4/1/1999, Vol. 398 Issue 6726, p356
Examines the implications of the appointment of Romano Prodi as president of the European Commission (EC). Prodi succeeding Jacques Santer; Prodi's belief in the importance of science; Comments from Enric Banda, general secretary of the European Science Foundation (ESF); Importance of Prodi's...
- It's Time to Let in Some Light. Dickey, Christopher // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);11/29/99 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 134 Issue 22, p40
Focuses on the reorganization of the European Commission following the resignation of President Jacques Santer. Growing number of members in the Commission; Types of scandals that forced the reorganization; Ideas for reform under new president Romano Prodi.
- SANTER, JACQUES (1937-). // Europe: A Concise Encyclopedia;2004, p184
The article presents information on the president of the European Commission Jacques Santer. He succeeded Jacques Delors as president of the European Commission in 1995. It is stated that he proved to be a weak leader and had conventional integrationist views. In 1999 he was forced to resign as...