WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Establishing His Legacy. Paul II, John // Vital Speeches of the Day;4/1/2005, Vol. 71 Issue 12, p382
Presents a speech by Pope John Paul II, Leader of the Catholic Church, delivered at the Secretary General of the United Nations in Vatican City on December 2, 1978. Appraisal of the commitment of the United Nation to the promotion of human rights; Basis for the dignity of the human person; Role...
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Mar1990, Issue 1, p72
Presents news briefs on religion as of March 1, 1990. Information on an article that criticizes the stance of Pope John Paul II on capital punishment; Release of a book that deals with the topics of sexual ethics; Launch of a publication that will provide up-to-date medical information on the...
- Life-Sustaining Treatments and Vegetative State: Scientific Advances and Ethical Dilemmas. Paul II, Pope John // Issues in Law & Medicine;Fall2004, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p167
The article presents analysis of the speech of Pope John Paul II in the International Congress on "Life-Sustaining Treatments and Vegetative State: Scientific Advances and Ethical Dilemmas." This important Congress, organized jointly by the Pontifical Academy for Life and the International...
- Two traditions. Curran, Charles E. // Commonweal;10/11/96, Vol. 123 Issue 17, p11
Points to the difference in approach and emphasis between the two encyclicals `Veritatis splendor' and `Evangelium vitae,' and Pope John Paul II's address to the United Nations concretizing papal teachings on moral issues. Downplay of historical development in the two encyclicals; Development...
- Encyclical stresses obedience. // Christian Century;10/20/93, Vol. 110 Issue 29, p1007
Examines Pope John Paul II's encyclical on traditional Catholic moral teaching, `Veritatis Splendor'. Intellectual currents undermining traditional Church teachings; Assertion that morality is determined by objective norms.
- Teaching the truth. McBrien, Richard P. // Christian Century;10/20/93, Vol. 110 Issue 29, p1004
Examines Pope John Paul II's encyclical on Catholic moral teachings, `Veritatis Splendor'. Fundamental questions of the Church's moral teachings; Treatise on fundamental moral theology; Challenges to false dichotomies; Criticisms of proportionalism by the Pope.
- Culture of death? // Commonweal;4/21/95, Vol. 122 Issue 8, p3
Describes Pope John Paul II's encyclical `Evangelium Vitae' (The Gospel of Life). Defense of the unborn and those threatened by euthanasia; Acknowledgement of social and economic pressures that encourage abortion; Criticism of politicians who are content with the status quo; Use of capital...
- Pope fires warning shot. // Christianity Today;11/8/93, Vol. 37 Issue 13, p58
Reports on the release of the papal encyclical `Veritatis Splendor' by Pope John Paul II. Reaffirmation of moral truth; Resistance of the tide of moral relativism; Argument for truth and papal authority.
- Pope's Encyclical Based on Faulty Science. // Women's International Network News;Summer95, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p24
Informs about an article `Pope's Encyclical Based on Faulty Science,' by John Godfrey, published in the Nature Magazine, which contains Godfrey's response to Pope's encyclical, `Evangelium Vitae.'