How to Think About Securlarism
- Baptism and The Moral Life. Ferguson, Everett // Christian Studies Journal;2010, Issue 24, p33
The article discusses the association between baptism and the moral life. Karl Barth, the twentieth-century Reformed theologian, had seen the effects of infant baptism on the State churches in Europe most especially on non-committed membership. It states that the Anabaptists of the Reformation...
- Theologian Karl Barth. // Christian Century;5/7/86, Vol. 103 Issue 16, p458
An appreciative critique of the man who has had an incalculable influence on this century's theology.
- The `postmodern' Barth? The Word of God as true myth. Dorrien, Gary // Christian Century;04/02/97, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p338
Focuses on the theological works of Karl Barth. Signs of interest in Barth's theology; Barth's theology as a rhetoric of freedom; Multiplicity of philosophy as a healthy and free Christian theology; Claims on the method of dialectical theology.
- Christians' relationship to the state. // Christianity Today;5/16/86, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p264
Theologian Karl Barth courageously pointed out Hitler's threat to the German Church. A reflection on his teachings shows that while Barth did not sufficiently address all the issues of church-state relationships, he did make clear the basic teaching that Christians may and must serve in the...
- The Williamsburg Poll. Doerr, Edd // Humanist;Sep/Oct88, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p45
Summarizes an opinion survey on church-state issues taken by the Center for Communication Dynamics in Washington D.C. in late 1987. The Williamsburg Poll; 10 percent of the U.S. population which is secularist.
- "…ONLY BY VIRTUE OF ITS TORAH". Ritterband, Paul // Contemporary Jewry;Jan1991, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p99
Inter-marriage is but one of the many indicators of Jewish assimilation and secularization. While there are those who contend that inter-marriage does not constitute a danger to Jewish demographic continuity, the weight of evidence points in the opposite direction. Various tactical solutions...
- Secularization. Wienclaw, Ruth A.; Baker, Jeremy // Secularization -- Research Starters Sociology;3/1/2016, p1
One of the reasons that religion continues to be important in modern society is because members of religious organizations frequently take a stand against some of the ills of society. However, in order to remain robust and attract new adherents, religious organizations need to demonstrate that...
- Barth and beyond. Johnson, William Stacy // Christian Century;05/02/2001, Vol. 118 Issue 14, p16
Focuses on the reevaluation of Karl Barth's theology. His reflections on the diety of God; Characteristics given to his theology; Key to Barth's theology, according to Gary Dorrien, professor of religious studies and the dean of Stetson Chapel at Kalamazoo College.
- KARL BARTH. SULLIVAN, WILLIAM // America;1/4/1969, Vol. 120 Issue 1, p20
The article presents an obituary for Swiss Protestant theologian Karl Barth.