THE UNHAPPY FATE OF OPTIONAL ORTHODOXY
- VATICAN II ON ECUMENISM AND THE EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH. Kharlamov, Vladimir // Journal of Ecumenical Studies;Spring/Summer2001, Vol. 38 Issue 2/3, p168
Provides historical/theological analysis of the Roman Catholic approach to ecumenism that was made by Vatican II and in post-concillar documents on ecumenism. Historical excursus; Approach of the Vatican to ecumenism; Eastern orthodox response to ecumenism.
- Ratzinger's latest: Don't call us 'sister church' Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;09/08/2000, Vol. 36 Issue 39, p3
Focuses on the assertion of the Vatican in Rome that the Catholic church cannot be called sister church by any other branches of Christianity. Reason for the Vatican's stand; Impact of the assertion to Catholic and Orthodox dialogue; Implication of the term sister church.
- MARRIED PRIESTS? Garvey, John // Commonweal;5/3/2002, Vol. 129 Issue 9, p7
Deals with the issue of celibacy among Catholic Church priests. Relation of celibacy on the sex-abuse crisis facing the Catholic Church; Discussion of the Orthodox discipline that allows its priests to marry before ordination; Analysis of an important pastoral aspect of celibacy.
- Despite objections, pope makes four new dioceses. Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;2/22/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 16, p7
Reports that Pope John Paul II has transformed four Russian church regions into dioceses, as a major step in the Catholic church's postcommunist restoration, despite Russian Orthodox objection. Vatican's defense of the move; Other information related to the transformed churches.
- Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia in religious renaissance. P.H. // National Catholic Reporter;3/17/95, Vol. 31 Issue 20, p8
Focuses on the religious renaissance in Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia & Hercegovina. Role of religion in the political process; Eastern Orthodox church's support for nationalists' plans for a greater Serbia; Catholic church's close relationships with the nationalist government of President Franjo...
- Greek Orthodox, Catholics Urge Pursuit of Unity. // America;7/30/2007, Vol. 197 Issue 3, p8
The article reports that leaders of San Francisco's Catholic and Greek Orthodox communities have urged adherents of their tradtions to continue pursuing mutual understanding and unity during an ecumenical litany for peace in California. Greek Orthodox Metropolitan Gerasimos and Catholic...
- A great divide continues. // U.S. Catholic;Sep2001, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p11
Discusses points of conflict between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Consequence of papal meetings; View of the Orthodox on liturgy.
- Eastern Right. Dreher, Rod // American Conservative;Jun2012, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p28
The article focuses on the conversion of conservatives to Eastern Orthodoxy. It highlights the Catholic contribution to conservative intellectual and the emergence of intellectual conversions among Evangelicals in which many find in the Roman church a more solid theological, philosophical, and...
- Orthodox-Catholic consultation. // Journal of Ecumenical Studies;Summer/Fall98, Vol. 35 Issue 3/4, p545
Reports on the meeting of the North American Orthodox-Catholic Theological Consultation at St. Paul's College in Washington, D.C. on October 29-31, 1998. Study of baptism and the mutual recognition of the sacraments; Developments in the relationship between the North American Consultation and...