Science and the Story that We Need
- 'Intelligent' Design? Garvey, John // Commonweal;8/12/2005, Vol. 132 Issue 14, p8
Reflects on the concept of intelligent design. Principle of Darwinian evolution; Reason for the decision of scientist Charles Darwin to reject the idea of a beneficent God; Arguments against the idea of intelligent design.
- Is evolution truly random? Chance as an ideological weapon in the 'evolution-creation' debate. BISSEN, DIANE // Science & Christian Belief;Oct2014, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p120
The theory of evolution by natural selection has been debated by scientists and theologians of all faiths since it was first published by Charles Darwin in 1859. One of the core issues is the extent of chance's role in the evolutionary process and the consequences of random evolution on the...
- Married to Darwin. Olasky, Marvin // World (0888157X);7/12/2014, Vol. 29 Issue 14, p72
The author reflects on a song that was featured in the 1975 film of Robert Altman "Nashville" where connected evolutionists claiming that kids taught English naturalist Charles Darwin was wrong will abandon Christianity. The author claims that science is not the only source of knowledge about...
- Celebrating Darwin Day. Jackson, Arthur M. // Humanist;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p46
Deals with the annual celebration of Darwin Day, the birthday of naturalist Charles Darwin, in February 12. Activities in the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory in Darwin; Description of Darwin Day celebrations in the United States; Scientists and educators who promote Darwin Day.
- The origins of Darwin. Moore, Pat // In Britain;Sep98, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p24
Features the British naturalist Charles Darwin and the places and sites where he had stayed. His book `The Origin of Species,' and `The Descent of Man'; Description of Darwin's family house in Mount, Shrewsbury, England; His education; His passion for earthworms. INSET: Further information.
- A Naturalist's Life Journey. Graham, Peter W. // World & I;Aug99, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p22
Features Charles Darwin, a naturalist in Great Britain. Family background and education; Factors that influenced his evolutionary theory; His death in 1882.
- Untitled. EISLEY, LOREN // American Record Guide;Nov/Dec2014, Vol. 77 Issue 6, p163
The author reflects on the appeal of English naturalist Charles Darwin's letters and the implication of these letters for Darwin as a solitary man.
- Darwin, Sociology, and the Sacred in Modernity. LUZ, NIMROD // Confluence: The Journal of Graduate Liberal Studies;Fall2008, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p84
An essay about English naturalist Charles Darwin, sociology and the sacred in modernity is presented. It describes how Darwin's theory of evolution was by and large a noble act of searching for truth and meaning in life. The close correlation between Darwinian thought and the project of...
- THEOLOGICAL DIMENSIONS OF DARWINIAN PROTAGONISTS AND DETRACTORS. Lineham, Peter J. // Colloquium: The Australian & New Zealand Theological Review;Nov2009, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p181
The article explores the work of naturalist and scientific critic Philip Henry Gosse. It highlights Gosse's interactions on the ideas of Charles Darwin's about the relationship between science and religion. Furthermore, it discusses the critic's philosophical views regarding divine action in the...