WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Freedom Matters. Nagorski, Andrew // Newsweek;4/11/2005, Vol. 145 Issue 15, p46
Offers the author's thoughts on the legacy of Pope John Paul II who died on April 2, 2005. Contribution Pope John Paul II made to the fall of Communism; Other goals Pope John Paul II reached.
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb1997, Issue 70, p68
Focuses on the claims of John Thavis, bureau chief of the "Catholic News Service," on the book "His Holiness," by Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi. Inclusion of the trip of Pope John Paul to his homeland in 1991 in the book; Opposition of the pope to abortion.
- The Pope, our brother. // Commonweal;11/7/86, Vol. 113 Issue 19, p586
How to cope with the Pope, John Paul II. How do we love the Catholic Church in its actual forms of life and authority, and survive as human beings, as adults and as Christians? Many Catholics today feel threatened--reasons why.
- Malcolm Muggeridge, R I P. Buckley Jr., Wm. F. // National Review;12/17/1990, Vol. 42 Issue 24, p62
Pays tribute to commentator and literary figure Malcolm Muggeridge, who died in 1990. Personal encounters with Muggeridge; Audience with Pope John Paul II; Affiliation with Christianity; Writings and lectures as an explicit Christian; Relishing of the mystery of reality.
- No 'vice popes' taking over. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;11/26/2004, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p22
Presents a response to speculations on who is in charge of making all the decisions in the Catholic Church. Church officials considered by some people as those who could be the next pope or who are the force behind the scenes in the Catholic Church; Distribution of the pope's authority among a...
- Papal Kindness, Reasons for Hope. Belford, William // Priest;2008, Vol. 64 Issue 6, p30
The article reflects on several issues in the Catholic Church as of June 2008. Photographer Arturo Mari recalls the last years of John Paul II's illness and his experience of being at the Pope's deathbed. Some sections of Pope Benedict XVI's encyclical "Spe Salvi" are also enumerated. The author...
- Audio reviews. // Publishers Weekly;11/4/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 45, p32
Reviews the sound recording `His Holiness,' by Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi and read by John Hockenberry. A biography of Pope John Paul II, focusing on his role in world politics in the late 20th century.
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb1997, Issue 70, p70
Focuses on the views of Father Vincent O'Keefe, former vicar general of the Jesuits, on Pope John Paul II. Background on the book "His Holiness," by Carl Bernstein and Marco Politi; Attentiveness of the pope in the Catholicism in the U.S.; Availability of Pope John Paul for the universal Church.
- Punishing dissent. McCormick, Richard A.; Coriden, James A.; Imbelli, Robert P. // Commonweal;08/14/98, Vol. 125 Issue 14, p12
Discusses the apostolic letter on defending the faith from Pope John Paul II. Shifting of the ecclesial climate; Impacts of a coercive atmosphere on the teaching office of the church; Implications of the exercise of rule-making authority and canonical enforcement of the faith; Benedictine...