WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- African churches in social transformation. Mugambi, J.N.K. // Journal of International Affairs;Summer96, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p194
Describes the history of the Catholic and Protestant Churches in Africa. Power of the church under colonialism; Motives of the churches in pushing for democratization; Issues that must be resolved if the church is to become an effective and benevolent actor in political development.
- Orangemen demonstrate N. Ireland's ancient ills. // National Catholic Reporter;7/26/96, Vol. 32 Issue 35, p28
Editorial. Comments on the annual march by the Protestant Orange Order down Catholic streets in Northern Ireland. Celebration of the 1690 Protestant victory at the Battle of the Boyne every July 12; Ritual as a gesture of intimidation and domination.
- Notes on church-state affairs: Mexico. Beck, Rosalie; Hendon, David W. // Journal of Church & State;Autumn91, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p838
Reports on the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Mexico in 1991. Reports of unlawful imprisonment of Protestants in the state of Puebla; Violent actions against Protestants; Catholic Church's hostility to the growth of Protestantism.
- Catholics, evangelicals in new alliance. Paquette, Michael J. // National Catholic Reporter;4/8/94, Vol. 30 Issue 23, p6
Reports on the declaration of common convictions and differences of the Roman Catholic and the Evangelical Protestant leaders in a document called `Evangelicals and Catholics Together: The Christian Mission in the Third Millennium.' Members of the drafting committee; Representative signers of...
- Catholics Accept Protestant Baptisms. MacHarg, Kenneth D. // Christianity Today;08/09/99, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p19
Deals with the agreement forged by Roman Catholic Church in Chile and several Protestant groups to mutually recognize baptism. Problem with the two groups; Comments from the leaders of the churches.
- Mother Rome. // Christian Century;09/13/2000, Vol. 117 Issue 25, p895
Reports on the actions taken by the Vatican regarding the validity of the Catholic-Protestant relations. Ambiguities caused by the term sister churches; Reprimand given by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to Catholic theologians; Distinction between Roman and Orthodox churches;...
- Up From Isolation--Intergroup Activities at the Seminary. Feingold, Jessica // Judaism;Summer78, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p283
Looks at the intergroup activities for the Jewish Theological Seminary of America in New York City. Tension between Catholics and Protestants in 1937; Efforts of the seminary to thwart dictatorship by political and humanitarian efforts; Use of religious scholarship for the strengthening of...
- A Silly Protest. // America;4/3/1915, Vol. 12 Issue 25, p623
The article criticizes the petition filed by the Protestant British-Israel League against Catholics to King George of England in 1915. It argues that the country received blessings during the period of English opposition to the Catholic Church in Rome, Italy. The author asserts that the...
- Italian bishops ask for Protestants' forgiveness. // Christian Century;04/23/97, Vol. 114 Issue 14, p406
Reports that Roman Catholic bishops in Italy have asked Protestants for forgiveness for the suffering and injury inflicted on them by the Catholic majority throughout the centuries. Address given by Archbishop Giuseppe Chiaretti of Perugia on the 149th anniversary of the day King Charles Albert...