WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- How Richard Rorty Found Religion. Boffetti, Jason // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;May2004, Issue 143, p24
Discusses the religious views of Richard Rorty, an academician, book author and philosopher in the U.S. Hope that 'romantic polytheism' will come to serve as America's new religious center; Historical background on the development of Rorty's views on religion; Description of how Rorty found...
- Rorty, religion, and humanism. Grigoriev, Serge // International Journal for Philosophy of Religion;Dec2011, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p187
This article offers a review of Richard Rorty's attempts to come to terms with the role of religion in our public and intellectual life by tracing the key developments in his position, partially in response to the ubiquitous criticisms of his distinction between private and public projects....
- Religion in a private igloo? A critical dialogue with Richard Rorty. Sass, Hartmut // International Journal for Philosophy of Religion;Dec2011, Vol. 70 Issue 3, p203
It is still a popular philosophical position to call for a strict 'separationism' concerning the private and the public sphere when it comes to religious convictions. Richard Rorty is one prominent supporter of this claim. The traditional critique against this division is mostly built on a...
- FILOZOFIA RIEÅ I PROBLÃ‰M AMERICKEJ VÃNIMOÄŒNOSTI: PRÃPAD RICHARD RORTY. Kolárová, Alicia // Filozofia;2008, Vol. 63 Issue 4, p311
The article reports on a shift in the philosophy of Richard Rorty. It mentions that Rorty started to pay attention to the renewal of the idea of American exceptionalism, and focused on reconstructing and revising the basis of religion and American Enlightenment, which are the sources of American...
- Militant atheism, pragmatism, and the God-shaped hole. Fiala, Andrew // International Journal for Philosophy of Religion;Jun2009, Vol. 65 Issue 3, p139
This paper addresses recent examples of militant atheism. It considers the theistic reply that describes atheism as deriving from a â€œGod-shaped holeâ€ in the human soul. The paper will argue that American pragmatism offers a middle path that avoids militant atheism without suffering...
- The Future of Religion. DiCenso, James J. // Journal of the American Academy of Religion;Mar2007, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p173
The article presents a review of the book "The Future of Religion," by Richard Rorty and Gianni Vattimo.
- Offer Declined. Griffiths, Paul J. // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul2005, Issue 154, p38
Reviews the book "The Future of Religion," by Richard Rorty and Gianni Vattimo.
- The Future of Religion. Wood, Mark // Buddhist-Christian Studies;2008, Issue 28, p162
The article reviews the book "The Future of Religion," by Richard Rorty and Gianni Vattino and edited by Santiago Zabala.
- Rorty on Religion and Hope. Smith, Nicholas // Inquiry;Feb2005, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p76
The article considers how Richard Rorty's writings on religion dovetail with his views on the philosophical significance of hope. It begins with a reconstruction of the central features of Rorty's philosophy of religion, including its critique of theism and its attempt to rehabilitate religion...