OBEYING IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND
- The issue that can't be spoken about. Curti, Elena // Catholic New Times;6/20/2011, p13
This article examines the circumstances behind the Vatican's continued denial to ordain women to the permanent diaconate. While Pope Benedict XVI stated that the Church does not have the authority to ordain women, Catholic theologians claim that they find no reason why women should not...
- Beware murky world of `secondary truths.' // National Catholic Reporter;06/06/97, Vol. 33 Issue 31, p24
Editorial. Offers a look at the discussion paper challenging the church's ban on ordaining women to the priesthood. Meeting of the Catholic Theological Society of America; Comments from Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger on the ordination of women.
- Being Benedict. Byassee, Jason // Christian Century;4/18/2006, Vol. 123 Issue 8, p22
The article focuses on the performance of Joseph Ratzinger a year after becoming Pope Benedict XVI. He criticized modern Western sexual practices for unduly elevating eros at the expanse of the love of God. He believes that the failures of the church do not stain its holiness. He stresses the...
- Time to rise up and protest this shameful behaviour. // Catholic New Times;5/2/2011, p1
The article focuses on the resignation of Bishop William Morris of Toowoomba in Queensland as a result of a disagreement with the Catholic hierarchy. In his letter to his diocese, Morris said that he was forced to retire by Pope Benedict XVI over alleged doctrinal disobedience. It has been noted...
- WHO WEARS THE FROCKS? Malaguti, Raffaella // New Humanist;Jul/Aug2005, Vol. 120 Issue 4, p16
Discusses the ordination of women as Roman Catholic deacons and priests. Ruling of Pope Benedict XVI that women are still barred from becoming priests and from leading mass; Relation of the Roman Catholic church to other Christian churches and to non-religious population; Duties of a woman...
- CHURCH OF THE INIQUITY. // Syracuse New Times;11/2/2011, Issue 2115, p13
The article informs about the shutdown of a famous monastery, The Santa Croce in Gerusalemme Church in Rome by Pope Benedict sixteenth due to lack of liturgical, financial and moral discipline in the monastery.
- Women take center stage in new Vatican document. Dix, Tara; Grennan Gary, Heather // U.S. Catholic;Oct2004, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p11
Looks at the reactions of several Catholic Church leaders to the document entitled "On the Collaboration of Men and Women in the Church and the World," signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger. Role of women in the church; Manifestation of feminism; Importance of feminine values.
- Women named synod experts. // National Catholic Reporter;9/19/2008, Vol. 44 Issue 28, p4
The article reports that Pope Benedict XVI has finally announced the names of 41 scholars who will become experts to the Synod of Bishops on the Bible entitled "The Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church" and to be held on October 5-26, 2008. Aside from 41 scholars, Pope Benedict XVI...
- Infallibility debate intensifies. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;5/27/2011, Vol. 47 Issue 16, p10
The article reports on the debates over infallibility in Catholic teachings. It mentions that the term was used by Pope Benedict XVI in reference to the ban of women ordination. It notes the confusions on where the boundaries of infallible doctrines be absorbed which led to the termination of...