ON THE PUBLIC AND THE PRIVATE
- ON BIBLICAL FAITH. Niebuhr, Reinhold // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Apr1996, Issue 62, p44
Presents the views of Protestant theologian Reinhold Niebuhr on biblical faith. Significance of preaching biblical faith; Role of biblical faith in democracy.
- Eric Voegelin and Reinhold Niebuhr on the Moral Resources of Democracy. Russell, Greg // Modern Age;Fall2006, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p291
The article discusses the works of philosopher Eric Voegelin and theologian Reinhold Niebuhr on the moral resources of democracy. Their works illustrate how ethical judgments about democratic and open societies are shaped by inquiry into the structure of reality and hierarchy of being. The...
- Reinhold Niebuhr and Richard John Neuhaus on Religion and Democracy in the United States. Elshtain, Jean Bethke // Political Theology;Jun2013, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p375
Richard John Neuhaus, like Reinhold Niebuhr before him, understood the vital civic role that religion plays in democratic society. As pastors and public intellectuals, both men were committed to public or civil forms of religion that, at their best, could inform, inspire, or chasten American...
- Politics and Ethics. Lovett, Robert Morss // New Republic;1/18/33, Vol. 73 Issue 946, p273
Reviews the book "Moral Man and Immoral Society," by Reinhold Niebuhr.
- Why We Should Be Reading Reinhold Niebuhr Now More Than Ever: Liberalism and the Future of American Political Thought. Mattson, Kevin // Good Society Journal;2005, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p77
The article reports on why it is important to read Reinhold Niebuhr, America's leading theologian and liberal activist during the Cold War, now more than ever. The liberals have an intellectual godfather, someone who constructed an intellectual scaffolding that could cement a set of values and...
- NO FRIENDS but FRIENDS. Mehmood, Tahir // Hilal;May2015, Vol. 51 Issue 11, p24
No abstract available.
- Moral Man and Immoral Society: A Study in Ethics and Politics. Fukuyama, Francis // Foreign Affairs;Sep/Oct97, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p215
Reviews the book "Moral Man and Immoral Society: A Study in Ethics and Politics," by Reinhold Niebuhr.
- Niebuhr's "Confession". // Time;8/24/1953, Vol. 62 Issue 8, p44
The article discusses an article by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr that is published in the periodical "Christian Century" about the spread of communism among the clergy in the U.S. He condemns the competence of the vigilantes and the acceptance of Marxist doctrines by the Protestants. He...
- CHAPTER NINE: Hope in America: The Chastened Faith of Reinhold Niebuhr and Christopher Lasch. Deneen, Patrick J. // Democratic Faith;2005, p239
Part III, chapter nine of the book "Democratic Faith," by Patrick J. Deneen is presented. It cites the works of Christopher Lasch and Reinhold Niebuhr about democratic faith in the U.S. Meanwhile, it argues that friendly critics of democratic faith put claim specifically to the religious...