- Hawaii high court effectively bans gay marriage. Giordano, Scott A. // Bay Windows;12/16/1999, pN.PAG
Reports that the Hawaii State Supreme Court has ruled against three same sex couples who argued that denying them a marriage license violated their rights under the equal protection clause of the Hawaii state constitution. Assessment of the court decision by Evan Wolfson, co-counsel for the...
- NO FANTASY ISLAND. Koppelman, Andrew // New Republic;8/7/95, Vol. 213 Issue 6, p22
Examines the political impact of the ruling of Hawaii Supreme Court on the case Baehr versus Lewin which held that denial of marriage licenses to same-sex couples is unconstitutional. Arguments devised by the Supreme Court in support of its ruling; Survey showing the attitude of Hawaiians...
- Oregon's Chief Lawyer Predicts Gays Will Win Right to Marry; Litigation Commences to Bring Case Rapidly to State Supreme Court. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Apr2004, p53
Reports on the opinion of Attorney General Hardy Myers on the rights of lesbian and gay Oregonians to marry. Legal status of same-sex marriage; Issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couples; General agreement among proponents and opponents of same-sex marriage.
- Yukon nixes same-sex marriage. Wockner, Rex // Gay & Lesbian Times;7/15/2004, Issue 864, p36
Reports that the government of Canada's Yukon Territory has refused to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple on June 29, 2004.
- ANOTHER N.Y. APPEALS PANEL REJECTS MARRIAGE BIDS. A. S. L. // Lesbian -- Gay Law Notes;Mar2006, p37
The article reports that New York Appelate Division for the 3rd Department has rejected three constitutional challenges to the denial of marriage to gay couples. All the three cases presented argued that denial of marriage licenses to gay couples under the New York Domestic Relations Law...
- C'mon people now. Bradshaw, Lisa // Just Out;3/19/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p43
Comments on the gay marriage debate in Oregon. Implications of the use of the term "debate" in discussing gay marriage; Significance of the Multnomah County commissioners' allowance of issuance of marriage licenses to gay couples.
- Locals offer same-sex marriages. // American City & County;Mar2004, Vol. 119 Issue 3, p16
Reports on the same-sex marriage licenses offered by several U.S. local governments as of March 2004. Number of same-sex couples from across the U.S. who bought marriage licenses in San Francisco, California, during the first 10 days that the city offered them to gay and lesbian couples;...
- 3,900 couples married in the Netherlands. Wockner, Rex // Bay Windows;3/11/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 13, p11
Reports on the number of same-sex couples who have gotten married in the Netherlands since it became the first nation to open up marriage on April 1, 2001. Number of weddings that took place in 2001 and 2002; Countries that issue marriage licenses to gay couples; Nations that offer civil unions...
- Second Oregon county issues marriage licenses to gays. // Empty Closet;Apr2004, Issue 367, pA5
Reports on the decision of the Benton County Commissioners in Oregon to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in the county. Reaction of David Fidanque, executive director of the ACLU of Oregon, on the decision of the Commission; Activists who were among to testify in support of ending...