The Politics of Baptism
- Romantic Vicos: Vico and providence in Michelet and Ballanche. McCalla, Arthur // Historical Reflections;Fall93, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p388
Examines the ways in which Jules Michelet and Simon Ballanche distorted the Vichian concept of providence. Sketches of their discoveries of Giambattista Vico; Discussion of the three as historians of European thought; Pattern and meaning of history which is accessible to human intelligence.
- VILLAGE VANGUARDS. ACITELLI, TOM // Town & Country;Apr2013, Vol. 167 Issue 5393, p35
The article offers information on the sales of medieval villages of Italy, France and Great Britain.
- Shorter notices Blair, John // English Historical Review;Jul93, Vol. 108 Issue 428, p703
Analyzes David Austin's `The Deserted Medieval Village of Thrislington, County Durham. Excavations, 1973-74'. Excavational search for the origin of English villages; Laying out of tofts in one operation towards the end of the twelfth century; Protracted desertion from the early 14th to mid-17th...
- La cour princiÃ¨re et la ville dans la Moldavie mÃ©diÃ©vale. La recherche de l'espace social. Petrică, Florin Gabriel // Annales d'UniversitÃ© 'Valahia' TÃ¢rgoviste. Section d'ArchÃ©ol;2010, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p101
The article presents Moldavia, Romania, which is a medieval town that is part of the chapters in the country's history. It notes that the relationship between the princiary court and the area around it were less exploited historically. It also notes that the evolution and the transformation of...
- Motoring on. // In Britain;Oct2000, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p34
Describes a tour of Coventry, England. Medieval origins; Combination of medieval timber-framed buildings and modern architecture; Historic buildings; Manufacturing plant of automaker Jaguar; Annual festival in honor of Lady Godiva.
- Intriguing BASTIDES. Vallois, Thirza // France Today;Feb2011, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p14
The article features several bastides in France. Unlike older medieval villages with winding streets, these bastides were built based on the square grid of ancient Roman towns, wherein an arcaded market square is placed at the center. Among the bastides featured were the Villefranche-de-Rouergue...
- Shorter notices. Rigby, S.H. // English Historical Review;Apr97, Vol. 112 Issue 446, p448
Reviews the book `Medieval Towns,' by John Schofield and Alan Vince.
- Markets. Elliott, Lynne // Medieval Towns, Trade & Travel;2004, p14
This article describes the conduct of markets during the Middle ages, or the medieval period, in western Europe. Towns were not only centers of education and religion, but of business as well. Towns held markets once a week, in large, open areas of town, where shoppers bought all kinds of goods...
- Life in a medieval village. Gies, Frances; Gies, Joseph // Christian History;1991, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p16
Describes a peasant woman's life in a medieval village. Trials of a domestic life; Rearing children; Sickness and death.