WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Bishops' longtime social justice spokesman retires. FILTEAU, JERRY // National Catholic Reporter;9/28/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 25, p9
The article announces the retirement of John Carr as the director of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishop's Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development on August 31, 2012.
- Bishops Respond to Attacks on John Carr. // America;2/22/2010, Vol. 202 Issue 5, p10
The article focuses on the responses of several bishops, including William F. Murphy and Howard J. Hubbard, on the claims against John Carr, executive director of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, regarding the promotion of abortion and homosexuality.
- Retired USCCB official hopes to bridge divide among faithful. Fraga, Brian // Our Sunday Visitor;10/28/2012, Vol. 101 Issue 26, p5
An interview with John Carr, retired executive director of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' (USCCB) Department of Justice, Peace and Human Development, is presented. He cites that things that he will miss about his tenure with the (USCCB). He mentions his accomplishments at the USCCB. He...
- Goals of Peace Pastoral Remain Unfulfilled. // America;12/8/2008, Vol. 199 Issue 19, p9
The article highlights the 25th anniversary of "The Challenge of Peace: God's Promise and Our Response," the U.S. bishops' pastoral letter on May 3, 2008. The U.S. bishops' pastoral letter anniversary focuses on Christian initiatives in developing peacemaking policy in the world. According to...
- `Bare-handed' medicine and its elusive patients: The unstable construction of pregnant women and... Ortiz, Ana Teresa // Feminist Studies;Summer97, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p263
Examines the limited access of physicians in the Dominican Republic to abortion practices due to strong opposition from both the Catholic Church and the government. Description of the pride, cynicism, and commitment of young physicians in the country; Paternalistic ethic in the practice of...
- THE HIDDEN health threat. Laurence, Leslie // Redbook;Jul2000, Vol. 195 Issue 1, p112
Focuses on the policy of hospitals under Catholic Church control in the United States to ban abortion and prescribe birth control pills.
- INTRODUCTION. McFadden, Maria // Human Life Review;Spring2007, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by James Hitchcock about the views of Catholic church on abortion and another by William Murchison on the book "The Children of Men."
- Political instructions may go unheeded. McBrien, Richard P. // National Catholic Reporter;2/7/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 14, p17
Focuses on the guidelines issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for Catholic politicians that attempt to dictate how they should vote on issues relating to the protection of human life or abortion. Assessment of whether the directive will have an impact on politicians'...
- INSIDE NCR. Roberts, Tom // National Catholic Reporter;1/17/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 11, p2
Focuses on the importance of the issues surrounding abortion to the Roman Catholic Church.