WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Reading, Writing, and History. Halliday, E. M. // American Heritage;Jun1974, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p98
The article reviews the books "Buchanan Dying," by John Updike and "Burr: A Novel," by Gore Vidal.
- John Updike might have caused more angst than any other living writer--not least because he... French, Sean // New Statesman & Society;4/26/96, Vol. 9 Issue 400, p28
Examines John Updike's new book `In the Beauty of the Lilies.' Reviews of Updike's other literary works; Updike's tolerance of other contemporary American writers; Updike's propensity for writing novels fast.
- Rabbit tees off. Russell, Geoff // Golf World;3/8/96, Vol. 49 Issue 31, p4
Reports that John Updike is promoting his new book titled `In the Beauty of the Lilies.'
- Updike's latest hit. Maryles, Daisy; Donahue, Richard // Publishers Weekly;2/12/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 7, p20
Reports on the popularity in the United States of the novel, `In the Beauty of the Lilies,' by John Updike. Critics' review of the book even before its official release on January 31, 1996; Media attention on the book and its author; Updike's promotion of the book.
- THE PLEASURES OF REGRETFUL UNBELIEF. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Jun/Jul1996, Issue 64, p63
Deals with the disappearance of religion in the life of U.S. citizens as depicted in the book "In the Beauty of the Lilies," by John Updike. Replacement of religion by material success; Emergence of popular culture following the death of the institutional God.
- John Updike: A sense of religious mission. Steinberg, Sybil S. // Publishers Weekly;1/8/96, Vol. 243 Issue 2, p47
Profiles John Updike, author of `Self-Consciousness,' which was published in 1989. `In the Beauty of the Lilies' as title of Updike's novel which will be released on February 1996; Topics discussed in Self-Consciousness; Works written by Updike; Views on the American character; Career-long...
- Under the Aspect of Serenity. Wood, James // New Republic;5/27/96, Vol. 214 Issue 22, p29
Reviews the book "In the Beauty of the Lilies," by John Updike.
- Justification by Temperate Faith Alone: Fundamentalism, Fanaticism, and Modernity in John Updike's In the Beauty of the Lilies. NAYDAN, LILIANA M. // John Updike Review;2011, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p89
The article reviews the book "In the Beauty of the Lilies," by John Updike.
- Books. Allen, Brooke // New Criterion;Jan96, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p57
Reviews the book `In the Beauty of the Lilies,' by John Updike.