WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- The Imperial Pope. Marton, Kati // New Republic;1/17/81, Vol. 184 Issue 3, p16
Focuses on Pope John Paul II and the debate among bishops about Humanae Vitae, an encyclical which bans unnatural birth control. Reference to the statement in the encyclical according to which each and every marriage act must be open to the transmission of life; Blame of bishops on the rigid...
- Contraception a baby among the church's sins. Greeley, Andrew M. // National Catholic Reporter;10/15/93, Vol. 29 Issue 44, p18
Discusses Pope John Paul II's `Veritatis Splendor' encyclical on moral theology. Social and demographic history of contraception in the Catholic community; Ways of controlling fertility; Tolerance of the Church for birth control; Lack of priests enforcing the Church doctrine on contraception;...
- Back to Basics. // Commonweal;11/06/98, Vol. 125 Issue 19, p6
Deals with the message of Pope John Paul II to Catholics on the encyclical `Fides et ratio,' concerning the church and the world. Message of `Fides et ratio'; Comments on the implications of the pope's message.
- Odds and ends. Gilmour, Peter // U.S. Catholic;Feb99, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p7
Deals with the publication of the Fides et ratio, an encyclical letter written by Pope John Paul II. Significance of encyclical letters; Brief background of encyclical letters; Account of similar writings.
- The Economics of Human Freedom. Paul II, John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1991, Issue 15, p36
Presents a condensation of the encyclical "The Hundreth Year (Centesimus Annus)," by Pope John Paul II.
- LITERATURE AS IF CHRIST MATTERED. Leiva-Merikakis, Erasmo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p63
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Methodology of intelligent admiration; Need for faith to relate any and every form of literary narrative to the controlling narrative at the heart of Christianity; Son of God's glorification on the Cross.
- IS THERE PHILOSOPHICAL PROGRESS? A PHILOSOPHER RESPONDS TO THE POPE. Mendieta, Eduardo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p115
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Perspective of a philosopher; Pope's view on the relationship between philosophy and theology; Philosophy's role as a laborer of and after truth; History of philosophy; Unity of philosophy.
- Discipline, not doctrine, is nub of pope's new encyclical. Hebblethwaite, Peter // National Catholic Reporter;10/1/93, Vol. 29 Issue 42, p9
Discusses `Veritatis Splendor,' the encyclical of Pope John Paul II. Leak of the contents by Norbert Greinacher, professor of moral theology at Tubingen University; Gist of the encyclical; Disciplinary purpose; Appeal to bishops to take seriously their duty.
- Protestant growth. // Christianity Today;11/25/91, Vol. 35 Issue 14, p56
Comments on Pope John Paul II's recent visit to Brazil. Focus on his efforts to counter Latin America's growing interest in the Protestant evangelical faith; Sample statements made.