The Uses of Clerical Scandal
- Sexual Abuse and Systemic Dynamics in the Church. Saffiotti, Luisa M. // Human Development;Spring2011, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p17
The article discusses the author's views on sexual abuse and systemic dynamics in the Catholic Church in the U.S. It notes that a report on sexual abuse of dozens of young victims by Fr. Gilbert Gauthe in Louisiana first brought the issue of sexual abuse into public light. It mentions other...
- USA: SURVEY FINDS 1,200 PRIESTS ACCUSED OF ABUSING CHILDREN. // Women's International Network News;Spring2003, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p84
Presents the results of a survey on sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests in the U.S. Statistics on lawsuit claims against priests as of December 31, 2002; Number of priests who retired due to sex scandals as of 2003.
- Sexual abuse by priests in the spotlight in Spain. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;5/21/2004, Vol. 40 Issue 29, p10
Reports on events which highlighted the issue of sexual abuse by Catholic priests in Spain. Spanish daily â€œEl Paisâ€ report on the sexual abuse crisis; Conviction of priest Luis Jose Beltran Calvo for repeated sexual abuse of a boy; Conviction of Ramon Lopez Sanchez in Barcelona for...
- SEXUAL ABUSE & THE CHURCH. Steinfels, Peter // Commonweal;3/26/2004, Vol. 131 Issue 6, p15
Focuses on the sexual molestation of minors by Catholic clergy in the U.S. Percentage of priests abusing minors; Findings of the John Jay study on sexual molestation; Causes of sexual abuse.
- "The Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors". Reese, Thomas J. // Catholic New Times;5/24/2011, p1
The article presents the report "Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests in the U.S., 1950-2010," which showed that the reason why more boys than girls were abused by priests were due to more accessibility of boys to priests than girls. The research was conducted by a...
- The Latest Pedophile Priest Scandal Excuse: Hippies Made Them Do It. MULLEN, SHAUN // Moderate Voice;5/19/2011, p19
The article reports on the pedophile excuse of priests in the U.S. According to the study of the American Roman Catholic Church , the priests are not ready for the sexual and social turmoil in the 1960s and 1970s. It mentions that the Catholic Church is not willing to deal the problem of...
- Spin without end in abuse scandal. // National Catholic Reporter;6/16/2006, Vol. 42 Issue 32, p24
The author reflects on the sex abuse scandal involving priests. The author asserts that the abuses committed by priests is an issue of homosexuality. He cited statistics relevant to the extent of sex abuses including the number of boys assaulted by a priest, number of girls molested by a...
- The mark of Cain: Reintegrating pedophiles. Rossetti, Stephen J. // America;9/9/1995, Vol. 173 Issue 6, p9
Reflects on the return of child sexual offenders to the ministry and the society. Parallelism of the sex offenders and the biblical story of Cain; Requirement of public notification of child molesters' release from prison; Pressure on the Catholic Church to ostracize child molesters; Myths...
- Unspoken reality. CAMPION, OWEN F. // Our Sunday Visitor;5/2/2010, Vol. 99 Issue 1, p18
The author reflects on pedophilia as a pathological disorder and its treatment.