Truths and Untruths About the Catholic Alliance
- An opportunity for American bishops. Byrne, Harry J. // America;11/30/1996, Vol. 175 Issue 17, p17
Discusses the topics which Pope John Paul II plans to take up when he convenes the Special Assembly of the Bishops of the Americas. Promotion of conversion, communication and solidarity; Loss of the sense of sin; Celibacy of priests.
- College of Cardinals. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2004, p616
Discusses how the members of the Sacred College of Cardinals are chosen by the pope to be his chief assistants and advisers in the administration of the church. How the Cardinals are responsible for electing a pope with the Holy See is empty; Limitations set by Pope John Paul II in 1998...
- How a Pope's Illness Affects the Church. Reese, Thomas J. // America;2/28/2005, Vol. 192 Issue 7, p7
Answers questions related to the office of the pope of the Catholic Church in light of the deteriorating health conditions of Pope John Paul II. Logical person whom the pope can assign to administer the church; Explanation on whether or not the pope can resign from his post; Possibility that...
- An ode to Pope John Paul II. magnetism incarnate. Kremer, Jerry // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);4/8/2005, Vol. 52 Issue 15, p11A
The article focuses on Pope John Paul II. The passing of Pope John Paul II marks the loss of one of the century's most charismatic figures. One did not have to agree with all of his philosophies to admire him for one reason or another. A devoutly religious person admired the Pontiff for his...
- People's pontiff was pop icon. Guider, Elizabeth; Vivarelli, Nick // Daily Variety;4/4/2005, Vol. 287 Issue 1, p1
The article reports that Pope John Paul II who died on April 2, 2005 was as much of a global popculture icon as Michael Jackson in his heyday and as great a communicator as Ronald Reagan in his. Unlike the insular, closed-off pontificate of his predecessor Paul VI this unlikely pope from Poland...
- Pope urges unity among U.S. bishops. // National Catholic Reporter;10/15/93, Vol. 29 Issue 44, p8
Reports on the desire of Pope John Paul II to have unity among Roman Catholic bishops in the United States. Strict communion between the United States Catholics and the church; Ad limina visits by the bishops from Pacific Northwest, Arkansas; Oklahoma, and Texas; Scandals caused by Catholics in...
- Notes on church-state affairs: El Salvador. Hendon, David W.; Kennedy, James M. // Journal of Church & State;Autumn95, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p928
Reports that Roman Catholic Bishop Fernando Saenz Lacalle has been named to head the archdiocese of San Salvador by Pope John Paul II. Information on Saenz Lacalle.
- Ousted French bishop meets with the pope. // Christian Century;2/28/96, Vol. 113 Issue 7, p224
Reports on ousted French Bishop Jacques Gaillot's meeting with Pope John Paul II. Reasons for Gaillot's dismissal; Replacement of Gaillot.
- Pope John Paul II. Cawley, Janet // Biography;Dec2000, Vol. 4 Issue 12, p74
Focuses on Pope John Paul II of the Catholic Church. Family background; Languages spoken; Commitment of bringing faith and peace to all parts of the world.