The Tyrant State
- Pope John Paul II on democracy. // Policy Review;Jan/Feb96, Issue 75, p57
Presents a quotation of Pope John Paul II on democracy.
- No new Marian dogmas. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;08/29/97, Vol. 33 Issue 37, p9
Reports on Pope John Paul II's lack of plans to proclaim new Marian dogmas despite continuing requests.
- Before the millennium. // Commonweal;2/24/95, Vol. 122 Issue 4, p4
Reports that Pope John Paul's apostolic letter `As the Third Millennium Draws Near,' issued on November 1994 has called on the church to repent for serious historic offenses. Church's failure to respond to the Nazi Holocaust; Celebration of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp by the...
- Election reforms at the Vatican. R.N.S. // Christian Century;4/3/96, Vol. 113 Issue 11, p367
Reports on Pope John Paul II's revision of the election process for the next pope, which is published in the document `Universi Dominici Gregis.' Secrecy measures; Procedure that must be followed if a stalemate is reached; Reaffirmation of a rule barring cardinals over 80 from participating or...
- Mea Maxima Culpa? Bethell, Tom // National Review;4/15/1988, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p34
Focuses on Pope John Paul II's encyclical "Sollicitudo Rei Socialis." Assertion that the great hopes for development in the Third World expressed by his predecessor Pope Paul VI in encyclical "Populorum Progression" have not been realized in the two decades; Impact of the reign of technology;...
- Back to the chalk board. // U.S. Catholic;Apr99, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p8
Reports on Pope John Paul II's `Ex corde ecclesia,' the apostolic constitution on Catholic colleges and universities. Details on the process of consultation for applying `Ex corde' to United States colleges; Concern raised by the proposed norms.
- Pope tells Ratzinger more collaboration needed. Allen Jr., John L.; Donovan, Gill // National Catholic Reporter;2/1/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 13, p7
Reports on an appeal by Pope John Paul II at the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith in Vatican City on January 18, 2002, regarding the need for greater collaboration among bishops. Definition of reception in Catholic theology; Possibilities outlined by the pope in accounting for the...
- Pope issues document on religious life. Wooden, Cindy // National Catholic Reporter;4/12/96, Vol. 32 Issue 24, p7
Reports on Pope John Paul II's issuing of a document on religious life. Increase involvement of religious women in decision-making; Examination of new religious communities.
- The Pope's Brilliant Encyclical. Novak, Michael // National Review;10/16/1981, Vol. 33 Issue 20, p1210
The article commends Pope John Paul II for his encyclical entitled "Laborem Exercens." It details the contents of the encyclical. It describes the encyclical as philosophical and full of understanding about labor and capitalism. The pope attacks Marxism and defends private property. It also...