JOHN PAUL II PLAYS "THE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD"
- North Americans pervade Ukraine trip. Allen Jr., John L. // National Catholic Reporter;7/13/2001, Vol. 37 Issue 34, p7
Comments on the role of the Americans during the visit of Pope John Paul II in Kiev, Ukraine. Citations of American officials involved in the planning of the papal visit; Estimates on the annual contribution of the U.S. Catholics to the Ukrainian church; Response of the Orthodox community to...
- Notes on church-state affairs: Australia. Beck, Rosalie; Hendon, David W. // Journal of Church & State;Spring95, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p448
Reports that Pope John Paul II addressed controversial issues on gender and the Catholic Church during a visit to Sydney, Australia on January 19, 1995. Proclamation of Mary MacKillop as blessed; Opposition of the church to discrimination; Stress on the role of women.
- Of Many Things. J. O'H. // America;5/28/1983, Vol. 148 Issue 21, preceding p409
The article focuses on the issues between the Catholic Church and the state in Poland. It notes on the implication to the state's relationship with the Catholic church when 68-years old priest Stefan Dzierzek was arrested for his support for anti-government activity which has been severely...
- Vatican ups interest in healthcare issues. Japsen, Bruce // Modern Healthcare;12/08/97, Vol. 27 Issue 49, p25
Focuses on expected visit to Catholic healthcare institutions in Long Island, New York by Pope John Paul II in 1998, highlighting the fact that the assets of these institutions are expected to be scrutinized by the pope. Formation of Catholic Health Services; Names of institutions forming the...
- THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD. Wills, Garry // Columbia Journalism Review;Jan/Feb1980, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p25
This article analyzes the way the press handled the stories about the papal visit of Pope John Paul II in New York in October 1979. Just when the Catholic Church is forswearing the imperial claims as triumphalism, the secular press brimmed with imagery of war and of the pope's conquests during...
- South Africans urge papal visit to Soweto. // National Catholic Reporter;8/11/95, Vol. 31 Issue 36, p6
Reports that some Catholics in Soweto are angry that the Pope's visit to Africa will not include a visit to a black township. Purpose of the Pope's visit as not pastoral; Lack of facilities in Soweto to accommodate a large crowd.
- Pope closes synod, urges justice in South Africa. Thavis, John // National Catholic Reporter;9/29/95, Vol. 31 Issue 42, p5
Focuses on the activities led by Pope John Paul II during 1995 visit to Africa. Closure of the African Synod of Bishops; Focus on unveiling the Pope's `Ecclesia in Africa' document; Masses in Cameroon, Kenya and South Africa.
- To be young, Catholic and cool. Edwards, Robin T. // National Catholic Reporter;8/27/93, Vol. 29 Issue 37, p4
Reports on the pope's visit and the World Youth Day (WYD) '93 held in Denver. Bishops doing the `wave' moments before welcoming the pope; Long line for free rosary; Opening address on church's pro-life stance; Lecture on problems of society and church; Worked the crowds like a politician; Local...
- Youth were cheered on--but not really challenged. MacEoin, Gary // National Catholic Reporter;8/27/93, Vol. 29 Issue 37, p5
Opinion. Analyzes the reaction of the youth during the papal address at Mile High Stadium, World Youth Day 1993. Each nation represented called to cheer; Only part that addressed the young people; Little point in telling they are the future; Controlled to ensure pope would hear what he likes...