WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- FAB Book Awards need your vote. Reid, Calvin // Publishers Weekly;4/13/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 15, p17
Solicits votes from publishers, booksellers, and others for the Firecracker Alternative Book Awards. Emphasis on books that focus on fringe and alternative culture; Point of contact.
- Alterna-rags rising. Spiegler, Marc // American Demographics;Nov97, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p38
Reports on the increasing popularity of alternative publications in United States. Competition posed by alternative publications on circulation and awards against daily newspapers; Major reasons for their popularity; Efforts to commercialize the publications.
- New York's zine scene. Parr, Karen // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;10/25/1996, Vol. 172 Issue 80, p16
Focuses on New York City's 'zine scene. Support for independent companies in fashion editorials as part of `Paper,' periodical's identification; Comment from Alan Ket, editor-in-chief of `Stress,' periodical; Estimated number of magazines in circulation.
- The edgy world of zines. Weissman, Halie // MediaWeek;8/2/93, Vol. 3 Issue 31, p13
Discusses the popularity of small publications called zines among young and non-traditional readers. Appeal to specialized audience; Low rates of advertising; Art, music and culture as major categories; Impact of desktop publishing; `Factsheet Five'; Absolut Vodka and Naya water as...
- Notes from the underground. Spiegler, Marc // Folio: The Magazine for Magazine Management;10/15/95, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p68
Reports on the 1995 Underground Press Conference at the DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois. Popular titles; Attenders; Issues discussed.
- Soldiers against the war in Vietnam: The story of Aboveground. Haines, Harry W. // Serials Review;Spring91, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p75
Discusses the author's experiences with the underground antiwar paper `Aboveground' aimed at soldiers stationed in Fort Carson, Colorado during the Vietnam War. Interrogation; Background information on paper; List of other publications.
- Sidebar 1: Sessions at first annual Underground Press Conference. // Serials Review;Winter94, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p54
Presents an overview of the sessions at the 1994 Underground Press Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Topics of discussions; Speakers.
- Personals or politics? // Wilson Quarterly;Spring92, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p122
Comments on the article `Hip Weeklies Are Hot!,' by Ed Avis, as discussed in the January-February 1992 issue of `The Quill.' Factors for the growth of free alternative weeklies; Use of magazine-length investigative articles.
- The rise of the `Zine'. Moskowitz, Eric // Christian Science Monitor;7/26/95, Vol. 87 Issue 168, p1
Reports on the flourishing underground magazine industry known as `zines' made possible by desktop publishing revolution in Russia. Zines as an outlet for individuals expression; Low profile by zine publishers; Topics covered by zines; Underground Press Convention at DePaul University in...