WHILE WE'RE AT IT
- Disputed elections of a rather nasty sort. // National Catholic Reporter;12/08/2000, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p11
Relates the dispute between Catholic Bishop Callistus and Hippolytus in the late second century in Rome. Contradictions in the teachings of Callistus and Hippolytus; Influence of the two to the doctrines of the Catholic Church; How the dispute between the two started.
- NOTES ON MORAL THEOLOGY: ETHICS AND THE CRISIS IN THE CHURCH. Keenan, James F. // Theological Studies;Mar2005, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p117
[The author provides a bibliographic study of recent publications concerning the scandal and the crisis in the Catholic Church. He focuses on three groups: priests (who are they?), the laity (how can they more fully participate in the life of the Church?), and bishops (what must they do to lead...
- THIS WEEK IN CATHOLIC HISTORY. // Our Sunday Visitor;8/17/2008, Vol. 97 Issue 16, p2
The article discusses an event in Catholic history. The entry recalls the escape of Martha Tolton and her children to Hannibal, Missouri on August 22, 1861. It cites that Tolton and her children rowed a boat to freedom across the Mississippi. It also mentions that Tolton's son Augustine became...
- Cooperation with non-Catholics. // America;3/11/1950, Vol. 82 Issue 23, p658
The author explains the authorization of the Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office to all Catholic bishops to confer with non-Catholics working for the reunion of Christians in 1950. The author states that a need for clarification of the Catholic Church's stand on the propriety of theological...
- FOREWORD. Nicholson, Paul // Way;Jan2015, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p5
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the hermits of the Egyptian desert in first centuries of the Church, the contemporary Christian ministry of healing, and Paul's letter to the Romans.
- ROMANTIC IDEALISM AND ROMAN CATHOLICISM (Book Review). Thiel, John E. // Theological Studies;Jun83, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p329
Reviews the book 'Romantic Idealism and Roman Catholicism: Schelling and the Theologieans,' by Thomas F. O'Meara.
- CONSISTORIES: PAST AND PRESENT. Rospigliosi, Elena // America;3/2/1946, Vol. 74 Issue 22, p568
The article offers information on the term "Consistory" in the Roman Catholic and its functions in the Church. It states that the word was used to describe gatherings and councils in general. It identifies the three types of Consistories which are the "secret," "semi-public," and "public." Also,...
- Church history is essential reading for Catholics. Craughwell, Thomas J. // Our Sunday Visitor;11/6/2011, Vol. 100 Issue 28, p10
In this article, the author reflects on the importance of revising the Catholic church's history.
- BOOKS RECEIVED. // Church History;Sep2013, Vol. 82 Issue 3, p772
A bibliography is presented on topics of church history which includes the books "The Oxford Handbook of Theology and Modern European Thought," edited by Nicholas Adams, George Pattison, and Graham Ward, "Thomas Grantham (1633â€“1692) and General Baptist Theology," by Clint C. Bass, and...