Bonhoeffer and the Sovereign State
- HOW DOES --OR SHOULD?--THEOLOGY INFLUENCE POLITICS? Elshatain, Jean Bethke // Political Theology;Jul2004, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p265
The question discussed in this article is whether Christian theology should influence contemporary political debates. The topic is discussed through two practical case studies: (1) technological advances in genetic engineering and (2) the just war tradition and the use of force. In the first...
- Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Professor Gerhard Ritter: Two Kinds of Lutherans and the Problem of Opposition to Nazism. Moses, John A. // Bonhoeffer Legacy: Australasian Journal of Bonhoeffer Studies;2013, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p115
The article focuses on the ideological and theological positions of German Lutherans pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer and professor Gerhard Ritter and the opposition problem to Nazism. Topics discussed include Ritter as a doctrinaire Lutheran Prussian, the conviction of Ritter on the authoritarian...
- Bonhoeffer conviction challenged. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;2/23/96, Vol. 32 Issue 17, p8
Reports on a campaign to seek posthumous rehabilitation for Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the German theologian who became a martyr when the Nazis executed him in 1944. Participation in a plot to assassinate Hitler.
- Ending Bonhoeffer's traitor status. // Christian Century;3/06/96, Vol. 113 Issue 8, p257
Reports on the efforts of German politicians, clergy and human rights advocates to get the Parliament to overturn Dietrich Bonhoeffer's status as a traitor. Efforts to declare all convictions by SS courts of the Hitler era as illegal; Comment of Parliament member Stephan Hillsberg on the issue;...
- Bonhoeffer exonerated of treason charge. E.N.I. // Christian Century;10/09/96, Vol. 113 Issue 28, p929
Reports on a ruling by a Berlin court saying that German Protestant theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who was executed in 1945 for his resistance to Adolf Hitler, was innocent of high treason. Background on campaigns by theologians calling for the rehabilitation of Bonhoeffer; Background on the...
- Bonhoeffer's legacy: A new generation. DeGruchy, John W. // Christian Century;04/02/97, Vol. 114 Issue 11, p343
Discusses the philosophical writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Expression of political actions in theology; Difficulty on translating his writings in English; Questions on Jesus Christ as fundamental issue for Christian theology.
- Bonhoeffer's many faces. Floyd Jr., Wayne Whitson // Christian Century;4/26/95, Vol. 112 Issue 14, p444
Focuses on the evangelical theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Proponent of the death-of-God; Understanding of the Nazi ideology; Christian responsibility; Challenges and prospects of the modern and postmodern world.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer's ecumenical vision. Barnett, Victoria J. // Christian Century;4/26/95, Vol. 112 Issue 14, p454
Focuses on the influence of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's ecumenical contact and worldview on his theology and praxis. Importance of letting the ecumenical world know what was happening in Germany; Bonhoeffer's establishment of an illegal seminary; Protests against the Confessing Church's 1938 decision...
- A better earthly future. Marty, Martin E. // Christian Century;5/10/95, Vol. 112 Issue 16, p527
Reflects on the 50th death anniversary of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Reasons for hope; Writings about the environment.