- True Christian. Coffey, Kathy // U.S. Catholic;Feb2013, Vol. 78 Issue 2, p55
The author presents information on Christian de ChergÃ©, French Trappist priest killed, along with six other monks, by Algerian extremists in 1996, who led her to the mosque as well as to examine Islam. She provides a brief personal background of the priest. She says the French monk assisted...
- Remembering the martyrs. Dardess, George // Commonweal;1/31/97, Vol. 124 Issue 2, p22
Discusses how the author remembers the death of the Seven Trappist monks and their prior Dom Christian de Cherge in March, 1996. How the Trappist Abbey honored the death of the monks; Why the author was confused on the invitation to recite the Our Father in arabic after the mass; Effect of the...
- Amen! in Sh' Allah! de Cherge, Christian // Commonweal;1/31/97, Vol. 124 Issue 2, p31
Presents information on the testament of a Dom Christian de Cherge, Trappist priest, killed by the members of the Armed Islamic Group in Algeria in May, 1996. How Christian de Cherge gave his life to God and to the country of Algeria; Martyrdom of de Cherge.
- Monk offers pardon and thanks. Malcolm, Teresa // National Catholic Reporter;6/14/96, Vol. 32 Issue 32, p9
Reports that Trappist Father Christian-Marie de Cherge, one of the seven monks slain by Islamic terrorists in Algeria, left a 1993 letter in which he foresaw his possible assassination at the hands of the extremists. Offering of his pardon to anyone who might hurt him; Wishing of thank you and...
- AN OBITUARY TO JÃ“ZEF TISCHNER. Bremer, Josef // Forum Philosophicum;2001, Vol. 6, p235
Pays tribute to priest and philosopher JÃ³sef Tischner, who died on June 28, 2000. Thinkers that influenced Tischner; Academic career; Books written.
- WHILE WE'RE AT IT. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Aug/Sep1997, Issue 75, p83
Cites a part of an article written by Elizabeth Kastor of "Washington Post" regarding a priest who died of AIDS.
- Priest Shortage in Ireland. // America;3/17/2008, Vol. 198 Issue 9, p7
The article reports on the shortage of Catholic priests in Ireland according to figures published in the 2008 Irish Catholic Directory. The country lost 160 priests in 2007 mostly because of death in old age. There are about 4,750 priests in Ireland and only nine new ordinations were made....
- Saint Peter of Castelnau: Monk of Fontfroide, Martyr: EDITOR'S NOTE. Merton, Thomas // Cistercian Studies Quarterly;2007, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p83
The article focuses on Saint Peter of Castelnau, a monk of Fontfroide and a martyr. The author noted that when he read Thomas Merton's biographical sketch of this saint's tragic death, he was reminded of Christian de ChergÃ¨'s statement of forgiveness for his assassins. Peter's obscurity was...
- Reading the Qur'an. Salenson, Christian // Cistercian Studies Quarterly;2012, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p313
The article focuses on the reading of the Qur'an in Arabic by Christian de ChergÃ©. It mentions that his engagement with the Qur'an is part of his personal vocation. It notes that de ChergÃ© believes that the Qur'an is what the Muslim community has obtained as properly his own to educate...