To Be Conservative in Ireland: A Lament
- Calling error `conservative' is an insult to conservatives. McBrien, Richard P. // National Catholic Reporter;7/02/99, Vol. 35 Issue 33, p19
Discusses the usage of the term `conservative' in Catholic literature writing. Misapplication to people, view points and organizations; Information on fundamentalists or restorationists; Injustice to conservatism.
- How Liberalism Fails the Church. George, Francis // Commonweal;11/19/99, Vol. 126 Issue 20, p24
Talks about the Catholic church and liberalism. Contexts which enter into the definition of liberal and conservative; Overview of liberal Catholicism; Why the church is indebted to the early liberal Catholics.
- Ireland to liberalise restrictive laws of Catholic Church. // Women's International Network News;Autumn91, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p68
Presents a news article about the battle between the state and the Catholic Church over the issue of condom in Ireland, published in `The Daily Telegraph,' March 11, 1991. Issue over the age at which young people should be legally permitted to buy condoms.
- Liberal Conservatives and Conservative Liberals. // America;7/16/1921, Vol. 25 Issue 13, p305
The author reflects on the Catholic Church being representative of the philosophy of conservatism and liberalism. The author believes that parents should study their children to identify their inclinations towards being liberals or conservatives. It asserts that Catholic children if raised...
- "CONSERVATISM" AND CATHOLICISM. Simboli, Brian // American Spectator;Jun/Jul2003, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p27
Discusses the conservative/liberal polarity in Catholicism. Characteristics of conservatives; Views of conservatives on the Catholic Church's magisterium; Philosophical basis of the Catholic social doctrine.
- Education, Religion, and the New Right. Welch, I. David; Medeiros, Donald C.; Tate, George A. // Educational Leadership;Dec81, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p203
Focuses on the impact of a politically powerful religious right, that threatens the separation of church and state in America, on teachers and students in schools. Problems related to increasing pressure from religious fundamentalists groups to enact legislation to mandate prayer in public...
- Galloping fundamentalism erodes church life. // National Catholic Reporter;6/28/96, Vol. 32 Issue 33, p28
Editorial. Comments on the danger of the growing Catholic fundamentalism. Differentiation and communion in the Catholic Church; Idolatry of ecclesiastical authority; Halting of an inclusive style of liturgy in Madison, Wisconsin; Threat of excommunication to Sri Lankan theologian Tissa Balasuriya.
- Identity Crisis. Crowe, Marian E. // America;05/07/2001, Vol. 184 Issue 15, p10
Discusses the experience of a Catholic woman in the United States who practice both conservative and liberal Catholicism. How liberal Catholics celebrate Mass; Stance of conservative Catholics on abortion and marriage; Aspects of the pre-Vatican II church that were inhumane and repressive.
- Fundamentalism isn't the problem. Minouge, Kenneth // New Criterion;Jun2004, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p17
Relates the author's thoughts about religious fundamentalism. Conventional meaning of fundamentalism; Emphasis on fundamentalism as the new fascism; Cognitive attack on fundamentalism; Toleration of modern moral attitudes.