ARTISTIC FREEDOM AND FREEDOM
- The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library. Matthies, Brad S. // Library Journal;10/15/2005, Vol. 130 Issue 17, p62
Reviews the book "The Gnostic Discoveries: The Impact of the Nag Hammadi Library," by Marvin Meyer.
- Secret Gospels (Book). Christian, Graham // Library Journal;3/1/2003, Vol. 128 Issue 4, p96
Reviews the non-fiction book, 'Secret Gospels: Essays on Thomas and the Secret Gospel of Mark,' by Marvin Meyer.
- Abstract art and religious belief. Masheck, Joseph // America;8/29/1992, Vol. 168 Issue 5, p114
Looks at the longstanding negativity toward abstract art and how it is accompanied with a tolerance for various forms of superstition and profanation in secular life--in short, false worship. What the topic of religion and arts may suggest; What Modernism in art demands; Maurice Denis' project;...
- Art--the EKG of today. Unsworth, Jean Morman // America;4/15/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 13, p24
Discusses the role of the artist in religion and throughout various phases of history. Depiction of Jesus Christ; Beauty of Michelangelo's Pieta; Chronology of Christian art history.
- The religious context of crisis resolution in the votive paintings of Catholic Europe. Lepovitz, Helena Waddy // Journal of Social History;Summer90, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p755
Examines the religious context of crisis resolution in the paintings of Catholic Europe. Depicting of supernatural powers; Commissioning of votive paintings; Manipulation of believers by church and state officials; Images identified with local, national and international shrines.
- Art that offends. Marty, Martin E. // Christian Century;3/22/95, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p351
Argues that religion and art are born to offend some groups. Incident at Swarthmore College where three Jewish students refused to sing Johann Sebastian Bach's Saint John Passion.
- Christology and the arts `keep hope alive'. Lefevere, Patricia // National Catholic Reporter;03/28/97, Vol. 33 Issue 21, p14
Focuses on a project in which young women conduct research on the relationship between art and religion. Emphasis on the religious dimensions of classical, Broadway and modern music; Role of Christianity during a particular period; Presentation of crucifixion scenes and Last Judgment paintings.
- Art's longing for `connectedness.' Austin, April // Christian Science Monitor;10/4/96, Vol. 88 Issue 218, p10
Reports that an increased interest in spirituality and art has led to museum shows, concerts and workshops that links contemporary art and music directly with spirituality. How public television has contributed to a broader understanding of religious traditions; How theologians and the clergy...
- Reckonings on religion and art. Dixon Jr., John W. // Anglican Theological Review;Spring92, Vol. 74 Issue 2, p267
Discusses religion and art as a field of study, a scholarly discipline. Exact definition of the religious definition of art; Problems of interpretation; Interpretations of art historians.