Can California's bullet train dodge a barrage from critics?
- VIEWPOINT. Haikalis, George // Planning;Nov2000, Vol. 66 Issue 11, p50
Discusses factors that contribute to the development of a national freight and passenger rail plan in the United States. Significance of high-speed rail passenger service in central cities; Proposals for building high-speed links between major cities; Role of the federal government in the plan;...
- Tenders under preparation for Metro 4 mega-project. Zegnal, Judit // Budapest Business Journal;5/5/2003, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p5
Reports on DBR Metro Project Directorate's call for tender applications for a metroline project in Budapest, Hungary. Estimated budget for the project; Uncertainties concerning the project's financing; Dispute between the Budapest Municipality and the Finance Ministry over the project's funding.
- High-Speed Transit for the Bay Area. // Banking;Oct66, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p100
Talks about the construction of a high-speed rail transit system for the San Francisco Bay Area. Information on tunneling problems that will contribute to the completion of the transit system; Routes and stations of the proposed system; Fares on the train.
- Bullet train powers past objections. Nevin, Tom // African Business;Apr2003, Issue 286, p52
Reports on the construction of a high-speed commuter train in South Africa's Gauteng Province. Objections to the project; Start of the construction for the Gautrain rapid link project; Environmental issues raised regarding the project.
- The French TGV system--progress and projects. Thomas, Ian // Geography;Apr94, Vol. 79 Issue 343, p164
Reports on France's high speed line Train a Grande Vitesse (TGV). Inauguration of inter-regional linkages; Effect of high-speed tracks; Routes; Ongoing extensions; Geographical impact; Benefits.
- Roaring down the rails. // Russian Life;Oct/Nov99, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p14
Reports on the debut of the high-speed train from Moscow to Saint Petersburg, Russia. Operation of the rail link under the Russian acronym VSM: Criticism of the VSM project as being too costly; Features.
- The Fast Track. Kaelble, Steve // Indiana Business Magazine;Feb2003, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p10
Investigates the place of high-speed rail in Indiana's transportation future. Proponents of high-speed rail; High-speed rail network proposed in the state; Benefits of high-speed rail.
- Darling of the commuters. // Engineer (00137758);11/5/2004, Vol. 293 Issue 7663, p6
Focuses on bullet trains being constructed for commuters traveling between London and Kent. Capabilities of the train; Impact of the bullet train project on railways in Great Britain; Problem the rail network might suffer.
- Lessons Should Be Learned from Rail Derailment Plan. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;01/25/99, Vol. 242 Issue 4, p126
Editorials. Comments on the halt in the high-speed rail corridor project in Florida. Reason for the decision of Florida Governor Jeb Bush to end the program; Lessons learned from the project.